• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smileygirl1005

What is the name of your state? California
In Colorado I colleted unemployment after finding gainful employment. I stopped collecting in Septemeber 2006 and moved to CA (Which had already been planned). After I moved there was a letter sent to my old CO address letting me know they were investigating me for the money. I contacted them right away, they couldn't yet set up payment arrangements, my case had not been assigned to anyone. I gave them all of my current contact info and employment info. Then a few months later they contacted me and asked me questions about it over the phone. I gave them my whole story, let them know why I did it, etc. I sent a few payments in, totalling $250 or so. I owe about $4,000 including fees before these payments. In May I was contacted by the unemplolyment agent letting me know that the DA in Colorado Springs where I lived had issued a warrant for my arrest. I was planning on going back to clear the warant, then I had to have surgery and go off work for 6 weeks. I haven't gone back yet but really want to clear this whole thing up and pay back what I owe. I have no record, have never been arrested. I want to avoid jail, get my warrant cleared and be able to return to CA to work and pay them off. Do I hire an attorney in this state or in CO? What type of attorney do I need. Should I use the counsel the court would appoint me? Do any attorneys work off of payment plans?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You need a criminal attorney in Colorado. Expect to have to return to Colorado as you committed a crime and they won't let you clear it up by distance. You may end up spending time in jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">