• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemplyment Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meandmyshadow

Could anyone tell me what the penalty is for collecting unemployment while also working and getting paid under the table? Is it a fine, or jail time? i know a lot of people who do this. TIA!

D

dorfman

If they can prove you are working you will be denied unemployment and have to pay back all the money you recieved.

Plus you could be ineligible to collect for a the rest of your benifit year...

Jail time......only if you dont pay it back.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dorfman said:
If they can prove you are working you will be denied unemployment and have to pay back all the money you recieved.

Plus you could be ineligible to collect for a the rest of your benifit year...

Jail time......only if you dont pay it back.
My response:

How do you know this, HappyRoach ?

You don't even know what State this is happening in. Each State has their own rules and regulations concerning Unemployment. So, how is it that you can answer this person ?

IAAL

D

dorfman

Some states include something like this (what if you try and defraud the state) in the unemployment handbook they give you when you first apply, but no one reads it anyway.

Its also hard to prove working under the table, but they CAN call you in for interviews (i have) and you will have to show which places you sent resumes to, or any contacts or any interviews you had, and sometimes they will call and see if you actually went to an interview.

Or they will set you up with 2 or 3 "interviews" and if you dont show up (becuause you are working under the table) then they will stop all benifits.

My take.....logically the only way to scam unemployment is during VERY high unemployment, they wont have enough help to check you out to see if you are looking for work each week, everyone will be at the front counter taking applications.

Though that may change soon too, states are trying to get you to file on line and "report each week" your job seeking activities. and you have to do it at the proper time and that will be During the DAY!!!!

M

meandmyshadow

Well, the situation I'm talking about involves a union worker. He/she is not required to seek work. It is in the state of NY, if that helps.

M

MichInAZ

I'm confused

It appears that each state is different HOWEVER I have done a little research and more and more states are prosecuting for such things. The punishment varies from jail time to repayment. I'd really like to know the answer to the question of the original question. I know people that have done this but I don't know about any legal issues that have arisen from it. Any advice would be very helpful! :confused:

M

MichInAZ

I should really read the question more thoroughly. My apologies. My question is people that collect unemployment from one state and work in another. Penalties the same?

R

rentertoo

What ever the original state is that you collect unemployment from will be the law they will follow.

Remember you should always sent out resumes each week, and keep a record of them, unemployment has a right to call you in and ask what have you been doing looking for a job.

And if you dont show up your benefits are automatically cut off, until you have a damn good explaination. Or they just might nvestigate you.

If you get a letter from unemploymnet office the post office CANNOT legally foward the mail. So it gets returned and they cut you off.

You have to be very very good at trying this, sure people do, but most know how to cover their ass....

I was called in for an interview 15 years ago, and what i did was take all the ads i sent a resume to, most everyone was a FAX #. My arugumnet was YOU are a government agency so YOU should be able to trace who owns the fax #. Call them see why i wasn't interviewed...I'd like to know TOO!!!!!!!!

That shut them up!

researchme

I can't figure out how to start a new question within this same subject so I'm going to reply to this thread and ask my question.

My question pertains to the spouse of a person who could possilby be guilty of unemployment fraud in the state of CA. If the spouse is aware of the fraud, what are or could be the repercussions if/when the fraud is detected?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
From where you are RIGHT NOW as you read my response, hit your back button once.

There will be a blue bar bisecting the screen approximately one third of the way down. On the far left of that bar is a button labeled, New Thread. Click on that button.

A new window will appear. Type your question in that window.

Click on, Submit.

You will then have posted a new thread, which is much to be preferred over hijacking an 8 year old one. As such, you will receive answers related to your question and not to the original one.

Truly, I would have thought that a button marked, New Thread, would be the obvious way to start a new thread. Am I wrong?

researchme

To someone with experience in the jargon used for this type of communication, of course, very simple "new thread", forgive me but I was looking for a button marked New Question - I didn't realize they were one in the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">