• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unmarked police car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

irisrose

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My brother has been a police officer in a small town for a few years. I told him I read some time ago that if a woman is traveling alone and an officer in an unmarked car tries to pull her over, she can drive slowly to a public area before she stops and can also ask the officer to call for an officer in an identifiable police car.He told me if I tried to do that, when I did stop I would be immediately handcuffed and taken to jail. Then he went on to tell me that his police station received a memo a while back stating that a woman was recently pulled over by a so-called policeman. She was taken to a desolate area and told to perform a sexual act on this "officer". When she reported this, there was no officer found suiting her description. My brother acted like this was something that could not be helped or prevented. I would like to know how to find the legal rights for a person on this problem. Not to discount my brother's knowledge, I would like to know if it is truly not legal in Missouri to drive to a safe place before stopping for someone who is not clearly identified as a true police officer.

L

LINKINPARKSGIRL

personally i do not know the legal aspect of it but i personally being a female would not under any circumstances pull over for an unmarked car, they can take me to jail then, their are way too many horror stories, personally i do not believe that they should be allowed to pull people over , unmarked cars are good for surveillance and stuff like that not traffic stops, seems pretty deceptive to me .......

Bravo8

What's wrong with being "deceptive" in traffic enforcement? It's not a game where everyone has to be given a fair chance.

In Pa, it is listed in the statute that this type of situation would be a defense to Fleeing and Eluding. It is also required that an officer be in uniform when conducting a traffic stop.....no plain clothes officers.

Personally, I would have no problem with the scenario as stated. I would suggest to anyone, particularly women, to do just this. You may be arrested, but I don't see any further charges coming of it.

The problem is with the idiots that try to flee and then claim this as a defense.

D

dad'sgf

interesting question...

I am in Louisiana and am very intrigued by this question. Due to recent events in my area, women's safety has become a major issue and among many other things, one thing that we have been told is not to stop for ANYONE in a secluded area - whether they are in uniform and marked police car or not. I have been advised to drive slowly to a well lit, public area and then stop for the officer.

What is legal in this situation? Does anyone know the law about traffice stops?

I

irisrose

That is really what I was wanting to know, dad'sgf. What is legal? I feel this issue is very important. Although I don't travel much, my daughter gets in her car and goes everywhere by herself. I would like to know if there is legal documentation on how to handle such a situation. I'm sure if she feels uncomfortable she would try to make it to a more public place, but I hate to think she would be carted off to jail because of it.

P

PaulE

I am not familiar with your states law, but in Texas to constitue evading/fleeing from the police, the law states there has to be an intentional flight. It also states the subject fleeing has to know it is a peace officer attempting to stop him-her. I don't think driving to a lighted public place would constitute intentional flight. I as a police officer would not expect my wife to pull over on a dark desolate stretch of road for an unmarked vehicle. I am not sure how long your brother has been a police officer, but in a situation like this common sense should prevail.

D

dad'sgf

what about a marked car?

I woud NEVER pull over for an unmarked car! I live in Baton Rouge, LA and there is currently a big investigation going on about some serial murders. What has come up over the course of the investigation is publication of other unrelated incidents, such as a woman in Slidell, LA being pulled over by a "cop" in an unmarked vehicle who had the police lights and showed her a badge. He then proceeded to take her to a rest stop and rape her. They haven't determined who the offender was or if he was actually a cop, but they have advised against stopping for any unmarked cars.

I have also heard on occasion, in safety courses, not to pull over for even a marked police vehicle. There is police corruption or even imposters that may appear to have a police marked vehicle to civilians who don't know what to look for, and pulling over in a secluded area is just not always a good idea. I have been told to drive at a slow speed to a public area, and if I have a cell phone to call 911 and advise them of what I am doing. I have wondered however if this could get me in trouble, landed in jail however if I meet up with the wrong cop. I'm not sure what the legality is. I guess the cops in my vicinity would understand, but if I was out of town and in the car by myself, late at night, in a secluded area, I would not feel comfortable pulling over then either.

Whyte Noise

This question made me wonder.... so, I asked a police officer in Hannibal the question. His response was.... "As soon as the lights come on, you are required to pull over. If you didn't your best bet would be to get an attorney." I would just have to pay for an attorney to go to traffic court with me then......

M

Mike101

As a police officer I would advise not to stop for a marked or unmarked patrol car unless you are in an area you feel comfortable in. What you need to do is to PUT ON YOU 4 WAY FLASHERS and continue on at a reasonable speed and manner. This will let the officer know you are aware of them. If you do that and you are still arrested then you are dealing with a cop that should never have become a cop. Unfortunately there are some out there.

D

dad'sgf

Whoa...

Now that you say that Mike, I think the emergency flashers were a piece of the advice that I was given. Thank you for jogging my memory! I'd hate to piss a cop off by just driving on with no indication that I was aware of him.

Thank you for your input! I don't know why a cop would find it so unreasonable for a woman to be uncomfortable with stopping in a secluded area. I wish it was a perfect world in which every police officer could be trusted, but the sad fact is that these isolated incidents do occur and they are heavily publicized which decreases the public's absolute trust of the police force.

Thank you to all of you officers who risk your lives every day to protect ours!

M

Mike101

dad'sgf,

Why would a cop find it unreasonable for a woman or man for that matter to feel uncomfortable stopping in a secluded place? The answer which I hate to say is the cop is unreasonable.

I

irisrose

I like your advice, Mike. Surely any police officer would be considerate of someone with their flashers on and driving at a slow speed. If not, then I'm sure my lawyer can handle it. I'll talk to my brother about this. He's in his late 40's and did say he wouldn't have a problem with it, but several of his fellow officers are young and more hot-headed then he is. Thanks for your input!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">