• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsure what is going to happen to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crmtmb120600

i live in new jersey,usa. i was arrested last year for 2nd degree burglary, 2nd degree conspiracy, and third degree theft by unlawful taking. i was put on a pti program that as long as i did 72 hours of community service and stayed out of trouble, my charges would be dropped. i had a really rough year and could only complete half of my community service. i am being resentenced. what can happen to me? i am a first time offender.:confused:

JETX

What is a 'rough year' to you?? It may not be enough to convince a court that it was just 'too rough' for you to do what you agreed to do.

The entire PTI program is an attempt to get you to realize 'the errors of your ways' and to give you an opportunity to straighten your life out. The fact that you refused/failed to complete your PTI requirements could activate your entire original sentence. If that happens, my best advice to you is...
"Never drop the soap in the shower".

C

crmtmb120600

the things that happened to me over the year are, in order: my parents split up, my grandfather died, my 17 year old sister became pregnant stole my dads credit card and ran away from home, i was in a car accident, my appendix burst and left me bedridden in and out of the hospital for a while, plus i have diagnosed depression and anxiety disorder. i worked full time 40-50 hours a week. when i could find time to do community service, i would go in and hope to do 8 hours, but everytime i went in, they only had 2 or 3 hours of work for me to do, then they would send me home. some days, they would have no work for me to do at all and just tell me to go home. betwwen dealing with all of the these things and hanging out with my deppressed dad so he would not feel lonely, i could not find any time to do all of it. i payed all my fines on time and stayed out of trouble the whole year.

HomeGuru

I feel your pain yet the judge will ask you "hello, I do not have a report in your file that you notified the Court that you were having trouble completing your community service hours at the designated location. Heck, we have a long list of places that need community service workers. We could have sent you somewhere else, if you told just let us know. And by the way, where have you been hiding all these months?"

C

crmtmb120600

i understand what you are saying. i should have contacted them and let them know. i did notify them every month about how much i was doing, but you are right. they will probably think i was just slacking. i really should have made it a number one priority, but i guess i was just too overwhelmed with everything going on. i am meeting with a lawyer on thursday to discuss what is going to happen. when i spoke to him on the phone, he said there is a chance i can get regular probation which will be on my record. i really hope that is the case. even if i have to do a million hours of community service to keep me out of jail, it is well worth it to me. even though i am kicked out of pti, i have set up a new place to do community service. i am hoping if i complete it before sentenceing, it may help in some way on my behalf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">