• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UPS package signed by Hotel- never received

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eshell

A friend of mine was staying at a hotel in Texas. I had a package sent to him directly from Amazon.com while he was there.
He left on the 16th of Jan, and the package was delivered on the 13th-meaning that there were 4 days in which he could have been notified about it.

The package was signed for by the General Manager of the hotel, even though it wasn't addressed to him. I emailed him asking about the package, but he was quick to deny knowing anything about packages. He said other employees can use his name to sign for things.
He also asked me about the contents, stating that it might help him find the package (which sounds weird to me since he shouldn't be opening his guest's packages.)

By signing for it, or allowing his name to be used when signing for packages is he legally responsible for anything?
Even though I'm sure the police can't do anything about it, should I contact them to fill out a police report?
Can I ask UPS for compensation as it's supposed to be insured?

The contents are worth just under $100, enough to be worth the effort of chasing down the package, but too little to sue anyone over.

HomeGuru

A friend of mine was staying at a hotel in Texas. I had a package sent to him directly from Amazon.com while he was there.
He left on the 16th of Jan, and the package was delivered on the 13th-meaning that there were 4 days in which he could have been notified about it.

The package was signed for by the General Manager of the hotel, even though it wasn't addressed to him. I emailed him asking about the package, but he was quick to deny knowing anything about packages. He said other employees can use his name to sign for things.
He also asked me about the contents, stating that it might help him find the package (which sounds weird to me since he shouldn't be opening his guest's packages.)

By signing for it, or allowing his name to be used when signing for packages is he legally responsible for anything?
Even though I'm sure the police can't do anything about it, should I contact them to fill out a police report?
Can I ask UPS for compensation as it's supposed to be insured?

The contents are worth just under $100, enough to be worth the effort of chasing down the package, but too little to sue anyone over.
**A: you have a claim agaisnt hte hotel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">