• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent help for a charge of harboring a minor!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinanddance

I am being charged with harboring a minor and the only reason I helped the minor was because she was pregnant and she was being forced into an abortion, I returned the minor after 2 days. Nothing happened to the minor, and I dont know what I can do in order for me not to do jail time since I am currently pregnant and I would not want to go to jail or get anything on my record. Now the mother is pressing charges against me, what can I do? If she drops the charges would that avoid me going to jail or anything like that? This is in the state of Texas.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I am being charged with harboring a minor and the only reason I helped the minor was because she was pregnant and she was being forced into an abortion, I returned the minor after 2 days because I felt it was the right thing to do. Nothing happened to the minor, and I dont know what I can do in order for me not to do jail time since I am currently pregnant and I would not want to go to jail or get anything on my record. Now the mother is pressing charges against me, what can I do? If she drops the charges would that avoid me going to jail or anything like that? This is in the state of Texas.

I wouldn't use the "forced into an abortion" excuse if I were you.

(If only because one cannot force a minor to have an abortion)

Eekamouse

You can talk to your public defender and hope for a plea agreement that will include no jail time. Why would you interfere with a minor and her parents anyway? You're pregnant. How are you going to feel if someday some adult butts into your business with your own child because they don't agree with what you are doing?

OHRoadwarrior

I suggest you proceed to contacting the public defenders office.

Sec. 25.06. HARBORING RUNAWAY CHILD. (a) A person commits an offense if he knowingly harbors a child and he is criminally negligent about whether the child:

(1) is younger than 18 years; and

(2) has escaped from the custody of a peace officer, a probation officer, the Texas Youth Council, or a detention facility for children, or is voluntarily absent from the child's home without the consent of the child's parent or guardian for a substantial length of time or without the intent to return.

(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor was related to the child within the second degree by consanguinity or affinity, as determined under Chapter 573, Government Code.

(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor notified:

(1) the person or agency from which the child escaped or a law enforcement agency of the presence of the child within 24 hours after discovering that the child had escaped from custody; or

(2) a law enforcement agency or a person at the child's home of the presence of the child within 24 hours after discovering that the child was voluntarily absent from home without the consent of the child's parent or guardian.

(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(e) On the receipt of a report from a peace officer, probation officer, the Texas Youth Council, a foster home, or a detention facility for children that a child has escaped its custody or upon receipt of a report from a parent, guardian, conservator, or legal custodian that a child is missing, a law enforcement agency shall immediately enter a record of the child into the National Crime Information Center.
Sec. 12.21. CLASS A MISDEMEANOR. An individual adjudged guilty of a Class A misdemeanor shall be punished by:

(1) a fine not to exceed $4,000;

(2) confinement in jail for a term not to exceed one year; or

(3) both such fine and confinement.

Proserpina

You can talk to your public defender and hope for a plea agreement that will include no jail time. Why would you interfere with a minor and her parents anyway? You're pregnant. How are you going to feel if someday some adult butts into your business with your own child because they don't agree with what you are doing?

In all fairness, there seems to be at least a decent chance that the minor lied her butt off, and the OP was naive enough to believe it.

spinanddance

I have a feeling you've been lied to. Again, one cannot force an abortion on another, even a minor.

If you're charged, you need to request a PD (public defender).
Honestly I did not know, and the mother was trying to force her and the boyfriend (He is 18).

spinanddance

At the time I had no knowledge of my pregnancy, I do understand what you are saying. I tried to contact the mother when she contacted me through a message she got a hold of my phone before I could even see it and saw that she sent a message to her mother saying that she was not with me at all and that I was in another state and that there was no way I could ever help her (My messages every time it is refreshed it shows all the previous messages and that is how I saw it). I asked her about it and she said she had to.

spinanddance

I suggest you proceed to contacting the public defenders office.
What do you think my chances are of not having to pay that much money since I am on state support for money and I do not have 4000 and not a single person I know either. That would mean I have to plead guilty right?

spinanddance

In all fairness, there seems to be at least a decent chance that the minor lied her butt off, and the OP was naive enough to believe it.
What is an OP? Sorry I have never been in trouble with the law and this is my first time ever having to deal with something legal. Please help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">