• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urinating in public... Not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brodix

I am from New York, LI

I was driving home from my sister’s house and felt a vibration in my front tire. I pulled into a Park & Ride to investigate. Apparently I happened to pull into a section of the Park & Ride frequented by people who urinate in public. As I was returning to my vehicle, two police officers came barreling up in their squad car and shined the spot light in my direction.

I was asked to produce ID. I complied. The other cop asked me if I thought that this place was my personal urinal. I simply replied "No". I was then told that a gas station was around the corner. I said "I will remember that for future reference" Before I could say anything more I was told to go back to my car and wait. Ten minutes later I was presented with a summons. I did not argue with them I just simply expressed my distaste with a glare.

As I read the summons it was suggested that the officer witnessed me exposing my self and urinating. I thought to my self "how could he have witnessed me from 150 feet away and through 2800lbs of steel and tinted glass." My car was parked in such a way as to conceal everything I was doing.

I guess I would like to know what I can expect when I show up for Court. Is this a misdemeanor? Should I get a lawyer? Do cops in Suffolk County have voice recorders in there cars?

Yours truly:
George

D

D.B. Cooper

The thug on the bench isn't going to believe your story, and niether do I. Pay the fine and get it over with

S

SignorFrancesco

Can you give me a few more details? Why did you leave your car, where did you go, what exactly did you do? Could YOU have been seen by the police at the point you were away from your car?

Let's start there and see where we get. Between CdwJava and I, I'm sure we can answer this one for you. Java's usually good for jumping in on these as well.

CdwJava

Not being familiar with the law in NY, I don't know where this falls on the criminal scale there. Plus, it might depend on whether this was cited as a penal code violation or a municipal/county code violation.

Essentially, it will come down to the officer(s) saying their piece, and you saying yours. And since you do not know for sure WHAT the officers saw, it is always posible they heard or saw something you do not think they did.

Is it possible they were just fishing? Yeah.

Is it possible that when you wandered away from your car into the bushes while somehow checking the wobble in your tire or axle and the officers just took a wild guess that you were urinating? Sure.

Only a judge can say for sure.

And frankly, unless you were simply kneeling next to your car, I would suspect that wandering to the bushes would be mighty suspicious and lead one to believe that was what you were doing.

As for voice recorders, I doubt it. They might have cameras for traffic stops and such, but that doesn't mean they had it on at the time of the contact.

- Carl

B

brodix

Okay... let me clarify. I pulled my car into a corner (Well Lighted). It was parked with the drivers side facing the woods. I got out and went to the front of my car. I Checked my tires. I didn't see anything wrong so I went to get back into my car. The rest is history.

I never wandered into any bushes or away from my car at any time.

HomeGuru

brodix said:
Okay... let me clarify. I pulled my car into a corner (Well Lighted). It was parked with the drivers side facing the woods. I got out and went to the front of my car. I Checked my tires. I didn't see anything wrong so I went to get back into my car. The rest is history.

I never wandered into any bushes or away from my car at any time.

**A: I don't believe your story.

S

SignorFrancesco

Well, if we go with what you've told us, then let's just say that the cops did have a partial view of you and your car, and since you weren't actually fixing anything on your car, but wandering around the front in what they would see as somewhat suspicious, then maybe they were fishing a bit. You have to admit that the circumstances are odd and they're most likely trying to crack down on lude behavior and public urination in that area.

I'm guessing that the ticket is going to result in a small fine, so this most likely is not a major case to get an attorney involved. If you know of other factors that could cause you to think you'd need to retain an attorney, then get a consult with one first just to get their opinion.

Otherwise, I would suggest going to court. Most people who get cited for this type of thing just pay the ticket because they know they were caught. If you show up and explain the situation to the Judge, then you might persuade her/him into dropping the matter. I've seen that happen as well.

That's the best advice I can give you on this one. You don't have evidence that says you didn't urinate in public. It's going to be your word against the officers', but again, most people don't show up to fight the ticket.

B

brodix

Thank you for your help. It's in the hands of the gods now.

HomeGuru: Believe what you want.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">