• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US federal jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nbay27

What is the name of your state? PA
I have a freind that is wanted and is living in another country. Does the US have jurisdiction of charging me with accesory after the fact for visiting him there? I have not helped him or comforted him in any way. I would think its like if I robbed a bank in mxico and the US convicting me here with a trial here, they have no jurisdiction right? Im of the understanding it is not illegal to comminicate with a fugitive just cant help or harbor them.
Thanks

L

loocpoc

Sure can. You can be charged with the following:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 49 > Sec. 1071:

Sec. 1071. - Concealing person from arrest

Whoever harbors or conceals any person for whose arrest a warrant or process has been issued under the provisions of any law of the United States, so as to prevent his discovery and arrest, after notice or knowledge of the fact that a warrant or process has been issued for the apprehension of such person, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; except that if the warrant or process issued on a charge of felony, or after conviction of such person of any offense, the punishment shall be a fine of [1] under this title, or imprisonment for not more than five years, or both.

I suggest contacting your local FBI office

N

nbay27

What if I do not know where they live and met him in a public place? They would have to prove I know where they can find him?

N

nbay27

And that charge would not be accesory after the fact-Whoever, knowing that an offense against the United States has been committed, receives, relieves, comforts or assists the offender in order to hinder or prevent his apprehension, trial or punishment, is an accessory after the fact.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nbay27 said:
What if I do not know where they live and met him in a public place? They would have to prove I know where they can find him?

My response:

Do you sincerely believe that the Feds are as stupid as you are? Don't you think they've run into people like you, with lame excuses, and not gotten what they want?

Start using your brain, okay?

IAAL

L

loocpoc

Doesnt matter. You went to another country with the express content to meet that person who is wanted. That constitues the concealment because you know this person is wanted and concealed the fact to authorities.

L

loocpoc

IAAL,

Im sure the minute the poster is sat in a nice room without windows and 2 Agent Smith's he will start talking, crying and all the other fun stuff just not to be sent to FCI Atlanta with Bubba and his lovely girlfriend Raoul.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

loocpoc said:
IAAL,

Im sure the minute the poster is sat in a nice room without windows and 2 Agent Smith's he will start talking, crying and all the other fun stuff just not to be sent to FCI Atlanta with Bubba and his lovely girlfriend Raoul.

My response:

You're damn right, Loocpoc!

He'll start "singin' like a canary" when he's threatened with fines, prison time, and "being with" Big Bubba.

This stupid prick thinks he's got all the angles, and can outsmart the Feds. Gee, I wonder if the Feds can stay in business with this "brainiac" out there!

IAAL

N

nbay27

Either you guys are feds yourselves of you are 2 lawyers that have gotten your asses handed to you by the feds in court

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nbay27 said:
Either you guys are feds yourselves of you are 2 lawyers that have gotten your asses handed to you by the feds in court

My response:

Yeah, you're right.

Keep thinking about us when Bubba is squeezing a tube of K-Y Jelly up your ass.

IAAL

N

nbay27

Actually I'm openly gay and very proud, would love nothing more then bubba and 4 get the ky jelly

N

nbay27

nahh, just wanted to see what you would say to that lol
Thanks for your help, but y would they charge me with accesory after the fact when it seems that concealing a person from arrest would be alot easier for them, all they have to prove is that I knew he was wanted and I did not say where he is?

L

loocpoc

Well Im no lawyer and I have never had any of my cases dismissed in Federal court, so yes Iam a fed.

The reason why you would be charged, is because you concealed the fact that you went to another country and conspired with a criminal wanted to answer charges from the US. All that is needed is that you went to another country and met with him, whether it be 5 minutes at a restaurant or 5 days in the bath house. The courts dont make any consideration neither does the law. By going to meet him, you broke the statute.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">