• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US / Mexican Law Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bt2461

Hello:
Here is the situation:

A couple of weeks ago he was arrested at the Mexico City airport (when changing planes on his way to Panama for a coin conference) for improper declaration of some gold coins he was carrying. He is certain he filled out the declaration form correctly (as he had when he departed the US) stating that he carrying commodity items, as the coins have no numeristic value, just bullion.
He spent several days in jail and was then transferred to the immigration detention center at which time bail ($700) was set and posted. He was released with all his possessions, including passport, EXCEPT the gold coins he was arrested with and is now staying in a hotel working on what he called his "declaration", which must be presented to a judge within 5 days. He is getting conflicting legal advise on several matters. He needs a clarification on on the following:
One attorney said that if he were to come back to the US before the case is settled and forfeit his coins, the US and Mexican governments have agreements that would result in US authorities arresting me and handing me back to the Mexican authorities.

If you could help with this question, it would be much appreciated.

Bill

justalayman

what do you have to do with this?

The entire situation was about "he" and then in the last sentence you say something about you getting arrested and sent back to Mexico. What is your part in all of this?

Silverplum

Hello:
Here is the situation:

A couple of weeks ago he was arrested at the Mexico City airport (when changing planes on his way to Panama for a coin conference) for improper declaration of some gold coins he was carrying. He is certain he filled out the declaration form correctly (as he had when he departed the US) stating that he carrying commodity items, as the coins have no numeristic value, just bullion.
He spent several days in jail and was then transferred to the immigration detention center at which time bail ($700) was set and posted. He was released with all his possessions, including passport, EXCEPT the gold coins he was arrested with and is now staying in a hotel working on what he called his "declaration", which must be presented to a judge within 5 days. He is getting conflicting legal advise on several matters. He needs a clarification on on the following:
One attorney said that if he were to come back to the US before the case is settled and forfeit his coins, the US and Mexican governments have agreements that would result in US authorities arresting me and handing me back to the Mexican authorities.

Bill
He?
Me?

bt2461

Mexican/ US legal question re-stated

Sorry, cut and paste problem on my part. I have cleaned up the question and re-submitted below:

Hello:
I wa ask on behalf of a friend who has a legal issue in Mexico and asked me to help him get some basic answers to questions regarding his situation.
Here is a summary:

Bill

justalayman

You would be jumping bail.
what do you think?

and realize, we extradited "The Dog" back to Mexico when he jumped bail.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Your "cleaned up" post still references "he" and "me". Why don't you just say if it's you or someone else.

bt2461

Yes, he is a US citizen, no criminal record, retired psychologist, many year school board member, etc.

HomeGuru

Hello:
Here is the situation:

**A: good one. No numeristic value. Hmmmmm, coins with no number value?
Maybe their exchange rate is in sea shells or semi-precious pebbles.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I would think he meant to say numismatic value.

Why would he bother carrying them if they had no value?

Since when is currency considered a commodity?

justalayman

I would think he meant to say numismatic value.

Why would he bother carrying them if they had no value?

Since when is currency considered a commodity?
he is considering the items as valued due to the gold content rather than the value as a coin.

but that is obviously not true as he was taking them to a coin conference.

Maybe that is the op's problem. He claimed he was carrying gold yet he is going to a coin conference.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">