• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

use of false id and minor (20) possession of alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newuser1

I was at Keeneland yesterday and a police officer asked for my ID. Unfortunately I gave him my fake ID, he caught me and gave me a citation for both posession and use of false id. I was wondering what the consequences are in kentucky? This is the first time I've been in trouble, so I didn't know if that made a difference. Should I get a lawyer? The police officer told me that if I went to court, I would probably get community service and it would be cleared from my record. Is this true?

taking legal advice from an online forum isn't the best ... but taking it from a cop is even worse !

What statue is cited?

newuser1

i know its not a smart idea but i dont really know what to do right now...

but it says

244.085 and 244.085 (3)
minor in possession
use of a fake id

sandyclaus

i know its not a smart idea but i dont really know what to do right now...

but it says

244.085 and 244.085 (3)
minor in possession
use of a fake id
In Kentucky, if you are under age 21, you may not:
  • Possess, purchase, or attempt to purchase alcohol. Also, you may not ask another person to purchase an alcoholic beverage for you.
  • Enter a business with a liquor license for the purpose of obtaining alcohol.
  • Use a fake or altered identification to purchase or attempt to purchase alcohol.

Anyone who is under the age of 18 and is found violating these laws will be treated as a juvenile.
Anyone older than age 18 who violates these laws will be charged a fine of up to $250 and jail time up to 90 days for the first offense. Subsequent offenders will face a fine up to $500 and jail time up to one year.

Because you presented a fake ID to purchase the alcohol, I don't think you will get away with community service. It might just be jail time for you.

GET AN ATTORNEY.

newuser1

i wasnt using a fake id to purchase any alcohol. a cop saw me holding a cup of alcohol asked for my id and i stupidly showed him the fake one.

newuser1

looking through the violation codes of kentucky police it says both are just violations not misdemeanors...idk if that means anything or not

asiny

i wasnt using a fake id to purchase any alcohol. a cop saw me holding a cup of alcohol asked for my id and i stupidly showed him the fake one.
Please review the new, highlighted, sections. This is what you are guilty of.... and what your, possible, penalty can be.
In Kentucky, if you are under age 21, you may not:
Possess, purchase, or attempt to purchase alcohol. Also, you may not ask another person to purchase an alcoholic beverage for you.
Enter a business with a liquor license for the purpose of obtaining alcohol.
Use a fake or altered identification to purchase or attempt to purchase alcohol.

Anyone who is under the age of 18 and is found violating these laws will be treated as a juvenile.
Anyone older than age 18 who violates these laws will be charged a fine of up to $250 and jail time up to 90 days for the first offense. Subsequent offenders will face a fine up to $500 and jail time up to one year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">