• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

[VA] Underage Possession of Alcohol + Possession of False License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

m0nTy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia (VA)

Hello I have a couple of questions. I'm currently 18 years old, and I have a total of three charges against me. Two underage possession of alcohol charges (VA Code 4.1-305) and one possession of false license charge (VA Code 18.2-204.2). Let me give you a little insight on these charges.

The first underage possession of alcohol charge occurred on 6/20. Basically I was at a party, and when cops busted in, I had no alcohol in my hand or anything. Since I was not in a motor vehicle, I refused the breathalyzer. The cop charged me based on "he smell my breath" even though I was over five feet away. I go to general district court tomorrow (7/14). I'm planning on accepting right to council and getting a public defender.

A little insight into my next charges. The next underage possession of alcohol and possession of false license occurred at the same time (charges were together on separate summons.) These charges both occurred on 7/10. I attend court 7/17 for these charges. Basically I was buying beer when a manager said my ID wasn't legit. Called cops, ect. Got charged with possession of a false identification then also got charged with underage possession of alcohol (the cops said I got charged with possession of the alcohol because the "sale was completed and that makes the alcohol in my possession").

I have a question regarding these charges. What will happen to me with all these charges? I've gotten off before on an underage possession charge while I was a minor by not blowing in the breathalyzer and got the case dismissed in juvenile relations court. If I accept a pre-conviction probation sentence for either of these underage possession of alcohol charges will I be found in violation of terms of the pre-conviction probation when attending court and being found guilty of another? What kind of penalty's am I looking at with all of these charges? (looking at all of them together)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

m0nTy

Followup:

Went to court today, and took preconviction probation. Basically just fines + completion of a alcohol safety class. This comes on terms I must stay out of trouble for one year...which leads to another question:

Since I was charged before my preconviction probation (the charge on 7/10), but have not gone to court for the other charges yet, will I be found in violation of my preconviction probation? I'm not sure because I was charged before being put on this but not convicted yet.

As always, any advice is highly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">