• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vandalism and Hate Crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jdwagner

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Last night my car was vandalized in front of my house. At first, I thought I was the object of a Halloween prank because my car was covered with egg and toilet paper. Upon closer examination, I discovered that obscenities had been etched in the paint of my car, all over my car. I contacted the police, who said that it was not only vandalism, but also a hate crime which is punishable under federal law. I suspect our neighbor's son knows who committed the crime. He has been attracting undesirable, troubled teens to this otherwise rural, pleasant farming community. Is there anything I can do? (i.e. offer a reward or higher a private investigator, retain a lawyer) I am a hardworking, quiet individual that has done nothing to warrant this. Also, do you know which federal law addresses this type of crime, and the penalty/punishment. Thanks for your input.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jdwagner said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Last night my car was vandalized in front of my house. At first, I thought I was the object of a Halloween prank because my car was covered with egg and toilet paper. Upon closer examination, I discovered that obscenities had been etched in the paint of my car, all over my car. I contacted the police, who said that it was not only vandalism, but also a hate crime which is punishable under federal law. I suspect our neighbor's son knows who committed the crime. He has been attracting undesirable, troubled teens to this otherwise rural, pleasant farming community. Is there anything I can do? (i.e. offer a reward or higher a private investigator, retain a lawyer) I am a hardworking, quiet individual that has done nothing to warrant this. Also, do you know which federal law addresses this type of crime, and the penalty/punishment. Thanks for your input.

My response:

Knowing the Federal law or State law involved is not going to help you. Let the police and detectives do their job. If it is, in fact, a "hate crime", then your local police will refer it to the proper agency. But, let them do their job.

In the meantime, take numerous 35mm pictures of your car, and then report the same to your vehicle insurance company for repair.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">