• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vandalism question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WolfMike23

My gf was arrested for vandalism to someone's vehicle. No permanent damage was done. All she did was smear cooking grease on the car. Again, no actual damage was done. It was washed off a couple hours later. She has no priors. What type of penalty is she looking at?

xylene

If she isn't guilty than she isn't looking at any penalty. ;)

Care to let us know the state, the actual exact charge and maybe have her come back and post the situation and more facts. :cool:

WolfMike23

Tennessee
The officers came and got her less than 2 hours ago. I'm not sure the exact charge because all they told me was that she had a warrant for vandalism.
Any idea what she's looking at? No damage, no priors.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Any idea what she's looking at? No damage, no priors.
Geez, no one can do the basics anymore. Google shows this first thing:

You could be charged with the most common property damage crime in Tennessee, vandalism, if the prosecution has probable cause that you knowingly and deliberately damaged someone else’s property. The charge you face for this offense and the subsequent sentence depend largely on the value of the damage done.

Value/Damage Vandalism Charge Potential Sentence
Less than $500 Class A misdemeanor Up to 1 year in jail and $2,500 in fines
$500 to $1,000 Class E Felony 1 to 6 years in prison and $3,000 in fines
$1,000 to $10,000 Class D Felony 2 to 12 years in prison and $5,000 in fines
$10,000 to $60,000 Class C Felony 3 to 15 years in prison and $10,000 in fines
More than $60,000 Class B Felony 8 to 30 years in prison and $25,000 in fines
Ref: TCA 39-14-408

WolfMike23

Yeah, I saw that already. But it doesn't say anything about if there is no damage. Like I said, it was cooking grease. No damage to the paint. No mechanical damage. It was washed off shortly there after.

Dave1952

if there was no lasting damage to the car then the damage would be the cost of cleaning the grease off. That's pretty trivial though so there may be more to this story.

adjusterjack

Yeah, I saw that already. But it doesn't say anything about if there is no damage. Like I said, it was cooking grease. No damage to the paint. No mechanical damage. It was washed off shortly there after.
The statute number is right in front of you. Had you looked it up you would have read the following:

(1) "Damage" includes, but is not limited to:
(B) Tampering with property and causing pecuniary loss or substantial inconvenience to the owner or a third person;

"Pecuniiary loss" - The cost of cleaning the car.

"Substantial inconvenience" - I think you can figure that one out by yourself.

http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2015/title-39/chapter-14/part-4/section-39-14-408/

So, yes, there is "damage."

Eekamouse

My gf was arrested for vandalism to someone's vehicle. No permanent damage was done. All she did was smear cooking grease on the car. Again, no actual damage was done. It was washed off a couple hours later. She has no priors. What type of penalty is she looking at?
Your girlfriend is a jerk and obviously doesn't own anything of value herself or she wouldn't be vandalizing vehicles. What is she? 12 years old? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">