• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vandalism at retail business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

arthrodoc

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NY
My retail store was vandalized by an unhappy customer. She broke a large display window while exiting, using her shoe. The police arrived, she admitted guilt but they refused to arrest her or give any type of citation. I called the detective at the precint and he advised I attempt civil resolution. I had the window fixed and sent the bill to the individual but received no reply. I gave a 10 day period stated in the letter for a reply.
What legal options do I have - can the individual be arrested for vandalism - isn't this a misdemeanor offense? I believe that an attorney's letter with an apprpriate legal threat may resolve the issue.

CdwJava

Did anyone at the store request or demand prosecution? If not, then maybe you ought to call and find out what you need to do to get the case forwarded to the DA for prosecution.

It may also be that the police determined that the requisite elements of vandalism were not present ... maybe she did not intend to break the window. If it were an accident, then it is not vandalism and is a civil matter.

- Carl

A

arthrodoc

arthrodoc

prosecution was demanded and the police ignored the request. Additionally, the breaking of the window was not accidental.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">