• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artdiva

What is the name of your state?Ohio

In March I scratched my boyfriend's car. He has not pressed charges but holds this over my head. How long does he have to file the charge? He has said everything from one month to 6 months. Would this still be considered a misdemeanor? He also keeps threatening to have the warrant served at my job, instead of at my home, but I work in a different state (KY). Can the police in Ohio serve a warrant in Kentucky for a non-kentucky resident. Also, he keeps changing the actual amount of the repair; he has said everything from $500 to $1000. I have never seen a receipt. He has only asked me for $100 dollars so far, and I paid him $110 back in April. Please help.

racer72

He's blowing a bunch of smoke. Tell him to call the police. They will tell him it is a civil not a criminal matter and they won't do nothing. Suggest to him that blackmail is a felony and because it is happening across state lines, the FBI will become involved. Being convicted of blackmail in a federal court carries a sentence of 5 to 20 years and fines up to $1,000,000.

CdwJava

Vandalism requires intent and doing intentional damage to the car ... or, knowingly being so reckless as to cause the damage. If he loaned you the car and it got damaged this is a civil matter. The fact that he has agreed to let you pay for the damage has tossed this in to the civil arena. The police won't deal with it. And even if they are compelled to write a report, it isn't going anywhere.

So ... you still call this blackmailing lout your "boyfriend"?!?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">