• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle repo consequences.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rhard86

A friend of mine recently told me after they lost their job that they haven't had enough money to pay for their vehicle. They informed me that it hasn't been paid in months, maybe even a year or more. They said it is trying to be repo'd, but in the process of losing their job they currently don't have a stable residence they reside in. Since they don't have a permanent residence, the collection agency cannot locate the vehicle. I discussed this with a fee of my other friends and they told me that if a vehicle is trying to be repo'd for a year or more that it is then put in as grand theft. After hearing this I want to let my friend know the consequences he may face if I see him again and if he will has this said vehicle. Credit ruined, fees, misdemeanor, felony, etc? I want to let them know the situation they are in. Any advice you could tell me would be wonderful. I want to know if my other friends were right or not about what could happen. I live in Sacramento county in California. I believe my friend lives somewhere around sac county as well. Any input again would be wonderful
Rhard

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A friend of mine recently told me after they lost their job that they haven't had enough money to pay for their vehicle. They informed me that it hasn't been paid in months, maybe even a year or more. They said it is trying to be repo'd, but in the process of losing their job they currently don't have a stable residence they reside in. Since they don't have a permanent residence, the collection agency cannot locate the vehicle. I discussed this with a fee of my other friends and they told me that if a vehicle is trying to be repo'd for a year or more that it is then put in as grand theft. After hearing this I want to let my friend know the consequences he may face if I see him again and if he will has this said vehicle. Credit ruined, fees, misdemeanor, felony, etc? I want to let them know the situation they are in. Any advice you could tell me would be wonderful. I want to know if my other friends were right or not about what could happen. I live in Sacramento county in California. I believe my friend lives somewhere around sac county as well. Any input again would be wonderful
Rhard
I would suggest a strong dose of MYOB. Seriously.

sandyclaus

Rhard
If this "friend" is also friends with your other friends, then they probably have already gotten a dose of what your friends are dishing out.

Your "friend" also can't be naive as to think they can keep a vehicle that they don't own free and clear and that they don't seem to have any intention of paying for. Their transient status doesn't serve to forgive the debt or their actions. And since they probably already know that what they're doing is wrong, it really doesn't matter what you tell them - they are going to do whatever they darn well please anyway, and damn the legal consequences.

Your "friend" may well need to learn the consequences of his/her choices the hard way. That may just mean they get pulled over when their registration goes out of date, because the DMV isn't likely going to allow them to renew their registration in the current state of affairs.

OHRoadwarrior

Many states have a criminal law for willful concealment of a vehicle subject to repo. I suggest he give it up before he has a criminal record and no one will hire him period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">