• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Threats of Violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yered

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Their is a resident where I live that had been frequently verbally threatening to harm other residents or have others the person knows threaten harm other residents.

Is their anything that can be done in case the person makes good on their threats and someone gets hurt?

quincy

Their is a resident where I live that had been frequently verbally threatening to harm other residents or have others the person knows threaten harm other residents.

Is their anything that can be done in case the person makes good on their threats and someone gets hurt?
What can be done is to report the threats of violence to the police and the police will handle the matter. Good luck.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I don't know exactly what you're asking. Obviously if the individual hurts someone he can be criminally charged.

Are you trying to say that you made a complaint about the threats but nothing has been done?

CdwJava

Have any of the recipients of the threats called the police? Have anyone who is aware of them called the police? If so, what was done?

In most instances, the threats would have to be believed and capable of being carried out imminently for the threat to be a crime. If it is conditional, like, "If you walk loudly on the stairs again, I'll kick your ass!" then it is not likely to be criminal. If he is carrying a knife and says, "I'm going to cut you!" and waves it around as you seek refuge in your apartment to get away, that probably would be.

A lot depends on the specific language, the context, and whether they are believed and capable of being carried out. MOST allegations of "threats" are not actionable.

Yered

On the most recent incident their were a lot of witnesses. Police have been called numerous times on the person but nothing has really ever been done by them.

The person have made has thrown objects at one resident but nothing was since on that occasion because the resident didn't report the incident to police.

CdwJava

Again, most threats are not going to rise to the level of a crime. If the recipient o fthe threats is afraid for their safety, they can look into the possibility of a restraining order against the party making the threats.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">