• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

very desperate situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drewc

iowa

i am 18.
i was pulled over for a disfunctional headlight. i don't have a valid drivers license as my suspension just ended for improper passing. i was charged with "no valid driver's license" carrying a total penalty of $145. the car was owned by my mother, and she did not have insurance for her car, so the police contacted her and charged her with "no valid insurance" with a $340 total penalty. all said, we ended up owing $485 by the 23rd of january. there is absolutly no way i can produce that cash by that date. i was already in serious financial trouble, and this nearly doubled it. is there anything i can claim, or will i go to jail. they did not make it very clear to me and i know we cant pay our fines on time. well this has me very worried, because, should i go to jail, along with my mother, that would leave my 12yr old brother in a foster home. im very confused and worried about all this and would appreciate any feedback more than any of you could ever know. thank you.

calatty

Most states have provisions for working off your fines. You should make a court date to ask the judge to pay the fine through service.

Rochelle

I know here at the police dept, our records dept will set up a payment plan for you if you can not pay the whole fine at once. They will let you pay half now and half in 30 days. The important thing is to NEVER lose contact or ignore any contact.

P.S. Here the fine for no insurance, is $1000, so your mother got off lucky.

F

FKNA

If you have no job, tell the judge you can't pay and you want to go to jail. You will be in and out in a matter of just a few days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">