• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

victim of a shooting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pimpsta33

while driving in Houston, TX dec 7, 01 a car almost hit the car i was riding in. one person in my car had a heated exchange of words and profanity. after the words exchanged we got on the freeway to go home. 3 min later the car carring the 3 men that we had gotten into the argument with pulled up next to us. one of the men was out of the sun roof with a gun. he immediatly opened fire on my car killing the driver and wounding me 3 times in the right arm and wounding another 5 times in the sholder and leg. the other car sped away as my car crashed. all three men were later caught and 2 men will be charged with murder and the third will be a witness. I now have a broken arm and loss of movement in my right hand. what are my options now? can i sue the 3 men that shot me. can i sue the insurance of the car i was riding in or the insurance of the car that shot me. can i sue the one person in my car that provoked the shooting incident. do you know of any other cases simular to this one you could refer me to. Thanks

S

SheDezy

S

Stormy2001

Happy & Lucky, You have shamed

America!

I read these boards from time to time, mostly for amusement and entertainment, and rarely post. This post by Happy & Lucky is one that I could not ignore. When I read the original readers post, and then read what the Houston Chronicle articles said about the incident, I did not see anywhere in their article that said this was a "gang related incident". It clearly stated that the person arrested was suspected of another murder, and that was regarded as gang related. There was no mention of drugs, pimping or theft of a wallet. Where you got your information Happy & Lucky, is beyond me. Do you know how to read and comprehend what you have read?

Happy & Lucky then goes on to further insult the original posters for this incident because of the color of their skin. That is highly offensive to me, as I hope it is to the other readers/posters of this board. For your information Happy & Lucky, America does not hate blacks as you stated. You might hate blacks, but I sure do not and I am highly insulted that you have spoken for me or any other fellow American.

Happy & Lucky then goes on to state that the people that were shot basically deserved it because of their race. How DARE you! No one deserves to be shot or killed because of the color of their skin. That my dear Happy & Lucky is considered a Hate Crime and there are now laws on the books in the State of Texas that address that crime. To me, you have condoned Hate Crimes and for that I am appalled.

To the gentlemen that were shot in this incident, I only know what I read on the links from the Houston Chronicle. I am sorry that you got shot, I am sorry that your friend was killed. I am sorry that you came to Houston to have a good time with your friends and ended up living a nightmare. I do hope that time will heal all your wounds, both physical and emotional.

Happy & Lucky should apologize to you and every one else on this board for her/his outrageous post! Furthermore, I personally think that Happy & Lucky should be banned from ever posting again. Those gentlemen did not deserve to be attacked in that manner, it was uncalled for and it was blatantly racist.

FYI - I am a white female that lives in Texas and I DO NOT condone anyone spewing forth such hatred.

Last edited:
S

Stormy2001

And just where do you see that it was gang related? What little words that are written in the Houston Chronicle state that?

I suggest you re-read the newspapers accounts and try to comprehend what the written word states.

"Officers located the Honda and discovered a bullet mark on the inside of the driver's door. They kept Ho under surveillance until his arrest Thursday.

He is also being questioned in the Oct. 7, 2000, shooting death of Thao Thi Lam, 21. Detectives said Friday the shooting was gang-related and was sparked by a disturbance at a Westheimer-area night club."

I do believe the article states that the October incident was the gang related one, not the "Road Rage" incident of December 7, 2001.

Big difference!

Last edited by a moderator:
H

happy&lucky

Two people said Ho bragged he had "gotten into a confrontation with a carload of blacks and blasted them," police said.

Officers located the Honda and discovered a bullet mark on the inside of the driver's door. They kept Ho under surveillance until
his arrest Thursday.

He is also being questioned in the Oct. 7, 2000, shooting death of Thao Thi Lam, 21. Detectives said Friday the shooting was
gang-related and was sparked by a disturbance at a Westheimer-area night club.

S

Stormy2001

happy&lucky said:
Two people said Ho bragged he had "gotten into a confrontation with a carload of blacks and blasted them," police said.

Officers located the Honda and discovered a bullet mark on the inside of the driver's door. They kept Ho under surveillance until
his arrest Thursday.

He is also being questioned in the Oct. 7, 2000, shooting death of Thao Thi Lam, 21. Detectives said Friday the shooting was
gang-related and was sparked by a disturbance at a Westheimer-area night club.
And I do believe that Ho was the Asian male that was arrested for the shootings in the road rage incident. Did you not take the time to look at the dates and the names? Westeimer-area night club, October 7, 2000. That was all in refererence to the other murder..not to the December 7, 2001 road rage incident.

Different locations, different years, different people save for Ho.

I stand by my statement that you can not comprehend what you read.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

. . . and, what Happy & Lucky Roach fails to understand is the reason why I said "Bye-Bye" to him.

You see, come Monday morning, we won't be hearing again from H&L or any of his name "incarnations" because of the following from his initial post,

Goodbye, for good, H&L.

IAAL

S

Stormy2001

Oh so now you are putting words into the Houston Chronicle's mouth by stating they must of had drugs in the car. Strange, they made no mention of that. I would think that with 4 people shot, the car wrecked on the freeway that the car would of been searched by the police when they arrived and found drugs. But geez, no mention of that whatsoever.

Of course, you are so racist that you can not see the forest for the trees. You do not once mention that the Asian that did the shootings/killing played any part in that incident. You insinuate that Ho was the innocent victim of this that because these men were black they must of started the whole incident.

BTW, the article states that it was the man who was killed that was the driver of the car in which the gentlemen were riding in. How could they of stopped the car, when they were not the drivers?

I do not condone road rage and will go out of my way to not get involved in it. It happens in large US cities all the time, generally just name calling and finger shooting and sometimes, it does end in someone getting shot or killed. This is not a race issue, people from all walks of life have resorted to road rage.

S

Stormy2001

To IAAL

. . . and, what Happy & Lucky Roach fails to understand is the reason why I said "Bye-Bye" to him.

You see, come Monday morning, we won't be hearing again from H&L or any of his name "incarnations" because of the following from his initial post, to wit:

Thank you IAAL...I am proud to see there is some inteqrity on this board.

Last edited:
K

Kittyscorpio

whys it gonna take that long to get rid of H & L? I mean it took you the matter of a day to get rid of FKNA. Believe i'm gald H & L is gonna be kicked off saying racist stuff is messed up and i hope he gets the crap kicked out of him one day when he opens his mouth to the wrong people....if he came to my town he wouldn't last to long

S

Stormy2001

Is there not always more to every story?

happy&lucky said:
Look I am going to say this for one last time....

There is something more to this story....

Why cant you accept that something happened between these guys back in the club and they had an altercation.

And why did they stop anyway?

I mean someone cuts you off on a highway and you stop........

Geez you are taking a big risk then....just keep driving.

There is more to the story........
I do not accept that something happened between the guys at the club. Evidently you do not know Houston, Texas. This is a very large city, in case you did not know. Downtown, where the club is located and where the incident happened is approx. 10 miles from each other. Never did the newspaper report that the Asian gentlemen had been at the club. So, therefore I take that to mean that the incident started on the freeway, not back at the club.

It is very concievable that, as the newspaper reported the one car came close to hitting the other car, this is a daily occurance in Houston. All one has to do is take a short drive in Houston, and most likely they will see one or more wrecks, people speeding, running stop signs, running read ligths, not paying attention to how they are driving etc. This can all happen within a 5 mile radius.

At any given time in Houston, Texas there can litteraly be millions and I do mean millions of vechicles on the freeways and roads. Granted, the millions of vechicles generally are not on the road at 4:00 - 4:30Am but there is still traffic in Houston at that time.

With so much traffic, tempers can and do flare up. That is a fact of life in the big city.

What I can not comprehend is why you insist on adding to the story, when you do not even begin to know the whole story. That is what I believe police investigators/lawyers/etc. do, is collect the facts, these facts are then presented at a trial. It is up to the jury (if there is a jury trial) to listern closely and I do mean closely, to the facts presented and come to a reasonable conclusion about the facts and either convict or find not guilty. If the trial is heard soley by the Judge, then he/she also has the same responsibilty as the Jurors, to listen closely to the facts and evidence.

That is what our Judicial system is all about, Happy & Lucky. It's not about one that automatically assumes and throws in tidbits that are not facts of a case. It certainly is not one that hurls racists remarks and assumes that just because a person is of a certain color then they must of been the ones that started the incident.

Regardless, if something else did happen besides what was stated in the newspaper accounts, that is still not justification for another to kill one and maim 3 others. That is something that you can not seem to grasp.

I am glad that you live in New York and not in the State of Texas. I would hate to think that a person such as yourself, that is racist, has a closed mind, can not comprehend the facts...would be on a jury. You would be one that comes into a court room already prejudiced against the case, without knowing all the facts, circumstances and evidence. I feel sorry for you, that is not being a responsible American.

You present yourself to be the Judge/Jury/Executioner and that is not acceptable. That violates the United States Constitution!

Sure, there could be more to the story but that is something that neither you nor I know at this time. That is up to our judicial system to find out, it is not for someone like you who sits behind a computer who finds it so easy to throw out racial slurs.

S

Stormy2001

Did they deserve to be shot because the are black? OF COURSE NOT!!!!

But This is about being stupid, at 4:30 in the morning, and putting yourself at risk so some dummy gets mad enough to start shooting.

Or are we so politically correct that black people are always the "victims" and no matter what they do they are never at fault?

That shouting obscenities and giving the middle finger at 430 am, is acceptable behavior for black people, and we should apoligize if we get upset?

==============================================

Yes, it was stupid for them to put themselves at risk by shouting obscentities at the other driver as it was stupid for the other driver to exchange in those actions as well. It is stupid for anyone, regardles of race to get so worked up about a traffic altercation that "Road Rage" takes place and someone dies as a result. The time of day has nothing to do with Road Rage, it just so happened that "this incident" happened at 4:30AM.

What if this had of been white people (and guess what, they too get into Road Rages) what racial slurs would you of called them?
I am sure that in New York, you have some sort of racial slur to hurl at every person.

It is not acceptable behaviour for any person to shout obscentities or give the middle finger...a fact that you did not present until now. You only wanted to zero in on the fact that these gentlemen were black. You wanted the world to see just how intelligent you are by writing racial slurs on the internet.

If I was on a jury, I would convict or acquit based on the facts and evidence..not on the color of ones skin!

Yes, you should apologize. You are very lucky that all that is going to happen is that you will be banned from this board. If you had any position of power in this country and made the statements that you did on here, you would be without a job immediately.

Racials slurs are not acceptable behavior, how you can justify that to yourself if beyond me.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Okay, I'm putting a "stop payment" on your reality check.

Happy&Lucky, you just don't get it, yourself.

It's not your "opinion" that's getting you kicked off the Forums. It's your derogatory use of the "N" word that is getting your membership revoked on Monday.

Re-read your initial response to our writer, and then re-read my replies to you.

Now do you understand ?

IAAL

Last edited:
S

SheDezy

Woahh!!!!

Hold up everybody! I think you're missing the point of our posts. We need legal advice in this matter. I can appreciate all of your opinions, but this was a cry for help.

Furthermore, pimpsta33 is not a gang member, pimp, drug dealer, or any other related stereotypes of a young black male in America. He is a college student who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The name pimpsta is an old high school nick name that stuck with him as an Internet handle. In these times I think we all know that a nick name on the web certainly does not portray one's lifestyle.

I am a college graduate, and a computer programmer in Dallas Texas. I am also white. Not that the color of our skin makes a bit of difference, I just thought I would point that out. Also, do we have any other educated people in this forum? Did any of you ever take a class on media, or journalism, etc? What you read in the papers isn't always exactly right. Mr. Glenn did his best to describe what happend on December 7th and the events thereafter. However, he was not there. One man in our car was yelling profane phrases (as stated in the first post) and the men in the other car said nothing. There was not a "heated exchange of words."

I don't know where the "drugs" came from, but there were none in our car. The asians were not at the club that we were at, and we did not have any altercation prior to the meeting at the stop light. No wallets were reported stolen. I did however notice $80 missing from my own wallet when I got my personal belongings back from the hospital. None of us are/were at the time, gangsters, drug dealers, criminals, etc. 3 college students, 2 college graduates. In reference to my website...what occurs on Internet message boards, guestbooks, etc. has no correlation with what happened the night of the murder.

Some of the posts on here are really sad and quite pathetic. I can't sleep at night because I have images burned into memory of holding my friends hand in an ambulance all the way the hospital only to ultimately watch him die on the operating table next to me. Meanwhile, I was being operated on for my own wounds/broken bones, etc. The aftermath was even worse. I went to a friend's funeral in a wheelchair doped up on morphine, lost my job, and doctors say I'll be walking with a can through the summer. I have a 4 year old daughter that I can't pick up or play with like I used to, and she doesn't even understand why. And you're telling me all of this happend because 4 of my friend's skin color is darker than ours? Or because my friend's Internet handle may have some slight depiction of the kind of music he likes? You are wrong sir! We were shot because another human has little or no value of the human life.

Look, the reason we made a post was to ascertain legal advice. We were not trying to establish who was at fault. Obviously, the Houston police department made that clear with the arrest of Mr. Ho. The bottom line is this; We were hurt at the hands of another individual. In America, that means we can sue. We are just trying to get some guidance on who to talk to, what to do, etc. We are not looking for the rantings of a racsist, or the subsequent opinions of individual's view(s) on America, racsism, etc. The Internet has everything. I'm sure they even have a bulliten board for people who would like to go on racially prejudiced tirades and hide behind a handle. This however is a board for people inquiring legal advice...hence, "freeadvice.com." So, ladies and gentlemen, could we please stick to that.

We ARE still looking for legal advice. Thanks.

By the way. We would all be happy to continue the conversation on race, etc, on our message board at http://shedezy.2ya.com. We're always looking for something to talk about, (kind of bland at the moment,) and we all hate racists, so you'd all be great guests to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">