• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

victim's rights? help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LissaB

What is the name of your state? I currently live in Oklahoma, but everything occurred in Michigan this past summer. I was sexually assaulted by a so-called friend of mine while I was passed out from drinking too much and when I came to, he was on top and inside of me. I pushed him off of me and asked what was going on, and he apologized....but I never told him he could do ANYTHING to me. I'm a married woman. My husband was away in the military.
I talked to a victim's advocate and she called it date rape.
But the detective that took on my case, basically called me a liar because and said they would take my offender's side:
- I didn't report the crime for a week ( I was afraid and ashamed, didn't want anyone to know)
- "when the cat's away the mouse will play" He ACTUALLY said that.
- And finally, because I was drinking they couldn't prove I didn't want it.
- Oh and "he said he was sorry, so he can't be that bad" he ACTUALLY said that too....

Anyway, the detective never called me back, or returned my phone calls with information regarding my case. He treated me as if I was the criminal.
My friend told me that I should sue the detective for malpractice, the offender in a civil suit, and the owner of the bar because he purchased all of drinks and continued to serve me long after I was drunk.
I need help here.
I was wronged on several levels and am sick of being ignored.

When I began reading your thread, I could of sworn someone else was telling my story. Go to the police department, do not call. Tell them you want to file a complaint and that you had been raped. If you are not comfortable with this, call victim witness (I'm sure there is one in your area, go through the district attorney's office). Victim witness is great at helping you get heard.

I wish you the best of luck. I went through this in 1998. However, be prepared for a few years of dealing with it. We finally ended court in July 2001.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">