• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Videocamera in private residence - NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeff17_nyc

What is the name of your state? New York
My daughter told me she went home two nights ago with a man she'd been seeing and found a videocamera in the bedroom that was turned on. He apologized, and we have a message from him saying he got rid of anything that was on the tape. Her friend lives with the guy, and he said there is nothing on the tape and the guy wouldn't normally do something like this. I don't know what to think - he said he'd never done it before. Can we charge him with anything? What evidence would we need?

J

jeff17_nyc

Follow Up

New York. Re: Evidence of a crime - if nothing physical happened before she saw the camera, but it was turned on, is that a crime? I've heard in NY it's illegal to tape someone without their consent, that it can be seen as an invasion of privacy or even assault. If not, what would constitute evidence? Please advise. Thanks.

CdwJava

He taped someone in HIS room? I don't know if there's a crime there unless he did something with the tape.

Have you taked to the police? What have they said?

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">