• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

viewing files on other computers w/o permission via internet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hector

My son is able to view files on some other people's computers via a cable modem hook up. He's seen files from medical centers, auto dealerships even law offices. He says there's no law against just looking. Is he right, or could he end up in trouble by just looking at these unsecured computers?

hp

S

sgtdragon

Hello,
I am not a lawyer, but I do know of a person that received one year probation for doing the exact same thing as your son. In addition, the person was not permitted to touch a computer for an additional 3 years.

racer72

Would you want someone to come "just to look" around your house while you were not at home? Unauthorized viewing of computer files is a crime and your son will get in a lot of trouble. It is called hacking, in my state is is punishable by up to 10 years in jail and a $250,000 fine.

H

Humble Warrior

You gotta give him credit for being good enough on a PC to hack into files like that. I wish I knew that much about PC operation!!
He needs to knock it off,and put that knowledge to good use. If he keeps it up he is eventually going to find a company or person (like me for example) with an identifier built into their programming. As soon as some little SOB tries to hack my files, I know EXACTLY who did it. Your son is going to get out of jail just in time to collect social security if he hacks into the wrong PC (like mine)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">