• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of PR Bond

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yarbles

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was arrested for a Class A misdemeanor drug posession charge in 1997 in Austin, Texas. I was able, with the help of my Aunt vouching for me, to be released on a personal recognizance bond. Needless to say, this was at a real low point in my life...I was homeless, jobless, and broke. While endlessly waiting for the next court appearance (always delayed for some reason or another), I found a good job out of state, left, got my life in order, and basically never looked back at where my life was headed had I stayed in Texas.

Now, I'm looking at traveling back to the original jurisdiction for a month or two. Does the statute of limitations I've heard so much about on TV apply? How long does it take for the system to "forget" about someone in my situation? I was arrested by the Austin Police Department, and a search on their automated telephone system under my old drivers license number comes up with "no warrants". I have an out-of-state ID now, so I don't know what the deal would be should I be stopped and checked.

D

Doubting Thomas

yarbles said:

I was arrested for a Class A misdemeanor drug posession charge in 1997 in Austin, Texas. ... found a good job out of state, left, got my life in order, and basically never looked back at where my life was headed had I stayed in Texas.

Now, I'm looking at traveling back to the original jurisdiction for a month or two. Does the statute of limitations I've heard so much about on TV apply? How long does it take for the system to "forget" about someone in my situation? I was arrested by the Austin Police Department, and a search on their automated telephone system under my old drivers license number comes up with "no warrants". I have an out-of-state ID now, so I don't know what the deal would be should I be stopped and checked.
You'll probably be fine. Don't catch the attention of the police and it all might be ok.

What would we do without TV? That vast wasteland of bad legal information...

Statute of limitaitons normally "TOLL" meaning - go on hold - when the crook (that be you, sweetums) is on the lamb or "out of state getting his life in order." Most statutes of limitaions on crimes run about 7 BUT if even if you did stay in the State your default also "TOLLS" the statute. That means - you're still on the hook.

Makes sense to. Why should the state's prosecution go South when the defendant goes East? Or West? Or - you get the picture.

In 1997 the local police nmight or might not have had a computerized system like you're talking about. They may or may not have put in all the old warrants. I have no thoughts on that. But if I were a betting man, I'd bet the State still has a record on you and the last entry reads: DEFAULT WARRANT.

If I were you I'd either skip going to Texas or I'd hire a lawyer and straighten the mess out. If there was just a teeny bit of drugs and if you haven't done time before, you're pretty likely to get a free pass from the court so long as you can prove you've mended your ways.

Do you have family in Texas who may be getting old and sick soon or eventually - people you might want to have to see there? Plus, eventually all this stuff is going to be on the internet anyway and your local police department will know about the warrant. Then they might just arrest you for the hell of it and that warrant and "wait and see" if Texas is willing to come give you a ride back to the Lone Star state. Usually you can be held up to 30 days before Texas has to either come get you or your new state has to let you go.

Of course, Texas m,ay not want to come get you if it is as you say just a minor case. And most states permit a decent guy to post bail or agree on his own to go "fix" it.

Hope this helps.

C

CombatTN88

Are you saying that you are planning to return back to the same place to commit a new crime (possibly upgraded to felony), but wondering if your out of state will not have that record (misdemeanour Class A)?

Sorry, that is what your question sounded like.

Regards, Combat

yarbles said:

I was arrested for a Class A misdemeanor drug posession charge in 1997 in Austin, Texas. I was able, with the help of my Aunt vouching for me, to be released on a personal recognizance bond. Needless to say, this was at a real low point in my life...I was homeless, jobless, and broke. While endlessly waiting for the next court appearance (always delayed for some reason or another), I found a good job out of state, left, got my life in order, and basically never looked back at where my life was headed had I stayed in Texas.

Y

yarbles

Huh? Hell, no! My "life of crime" was a single incident, that won't be repeated, as I'm no longer homeless, jobless, and broke. I have a home and money now (working on the "job" part). I have returned to "normalcy". I'm only going to be back in Austin for a month or two.

Does this "tolling" mean that, if it were the year 2032, and I had to stop in Austin to connect to a flight, and they ran my ID, I'd still be taken in? What about if I were to show my passport instead of my drivers license?

CombatTN88's question sure sounded like flamebait to me, but I suppose this forum gets a lot of trashy people posting endless stupid questions here, and I just have to develop a thick hide. I really appreciate people taking time to respond to me.

D

Doubting Thomas

yarbles said:
Does this "tolling" mean that, if it were the year 2032, and I had to stop in Austin to connect to a flight, and they ran my ID, I'd still be taken in? What about if I were to show my passport instead of my drivers license?

....and I just have to develop a thick hide. I really appreciate people taking time to respond to me.
YES. You got it. On both counts! You're a very quick study.

As to the license v. passport question - it doesn't matter how they catch you IF they do. And I have no idea what tricks they've got now or in the future of 2032.

Y

yarbles

Well, as regards to the passport thing, I just wondered if it would throw them off...they wouldn't get to run a driver's license number.

D

Doubting Thomas

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">