• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation in National Park for Swimming

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

221kapuni

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
My son was swimming with a group of people in the Potomac river which apparently is closed to swimming in the national park. He and others claim no such signage was posted. However a forest Ranger came by and asked them to get out on the far river bank..then changed his mind and asked them to swim to the side the ranger was on...everyone else but 3 kids(including my son) took off..but the 3 who obeyed received a US District Court violation notice, witha MUST Appear box checked..i,e no paying a fine. Given the nature of violation and fact that these kids are all University students from out of state(which ranger kneW), no drugs/alcohol/disrespect present..seems VERY inequitable. As these kids attend school over 500 miles away it is a huge burden financially and scholastically to return for a court appearance. Any advice on how to approach this, actions etc?

dave33

Sounds like they need to appear.Unfortunately the travel burden is not a consideration recognized by the court in most cases.Although i'm not sure of the violation,i would say it's unlikely they would be extradited from another state if a warrant was issued.You can always consult with a local attorney,hopefully he can somehow lessen the burden.goodluck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">