• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wa state forgery by spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

akayecf

What is the name of your state? WA

Hi there--if anyone knows WA state law I would greatly appreciate your help.

My ex-husband and I had temporary court docs showing that we were not living together in April 2002 (no legal separation in WA)

We could not agree to a split of our 2001 tax return, so we agreed not to file the return until our divorce court date of January 2003. In January 2003 the court ordered a split of the 2001 tax return that should not yet have been filed.

But I have since found out that in December of 2002, my then separated husband, filed our tax return (jointly) without my knowledge, forged my signature on the return, and had the 7K refund electronically deposited into his separate bank account.

I have called the police department in the town where he lives and they tell me he has not committed a criminal crime--that his crime is civil. Is there any way possible I can have him charged will a crime that will go on his record for forging my name?

The police say he had no intent to defraud because it was joint property (there is no legal separation in WA). But the RCW says a person is guilty if their intent is either to injure or defraud. Well--he hasn't given me my share of the return--isn't this injury? His intention was to get an electronic deposit so he wouldn't have to forge a check in addition to the tax return--and to keep all of the return for himself.

Please help--he will do this to some other woman--it is not the first time he has behaved in such a way, and it seems like I can do nothing because we were married.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">