• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage Garnishment for Pedestrian Citation (nearly 7 years old)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ericalinhu

I live in San Diego, CA.

On 10/30/14, I received a notice from my payroll department (at UCSD) notifying me that my wages will be garnished starting 11/19/14 for a total of $847. The letter was from the State of California Franchise Tax Board and listed two charges/debts, each for $423.98. The letter contained no information about the origin of the debts but did include the referring office as “San Francisco Superior”, two case numbers, and a phone number. I did not know what this was from. I called the provided number and reached Alliance One Collections. I gave them my case numbers and they were unable to provide any information about the origin of the charges/debts. The representative suggested I contact the San Francisco Courts.

After 3 days of calling the SF Superior Courts, they explained that the charges were from two pedestrian citations (for invalid/expired fare on public transit) issued 12/17/07 and 12/22/07. They became delinquent late February of 2008. The rep said I was sent a notice in 2010 to an address I have not lived at in 8 years.

The Franchise Tax Board explained I was ineligible for a hearing (actually I learned that the phone conversation was my hearing) or payment plan. I explained to them that I am a recent graduate with a considerable amount of student loan debt, working an entry-level research job. They explained that my only option was to pay the total due to prevent garnishment.

The Franchise Tax Board had my SSN, the names of all my past employers, and DL# (my driver’s license has been linked to my up to date addresses since 2009). Despite this, I have never received any notification for this collection. It isn’t and has never been present on my credit report or driving record.

I do not know what my options are or what steps to take first. I do not know if it is even worth it to acquire legal assistance. I don not know if this will be considered more than one garnishment and thus permit my I do not know if California can legally collect on this nearly 7 years later.

Thank you!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you had answered the citations promptly (or at all) then you wouldn't be in this position. You didn't even address the violations you committed.

davew128

FTB doesn't care if you think you're innocent or not. They are acting as the state's collection agency (which they are anyway). I don't know about you, but if I was stopped for a pedestrian citation, I'd remember it especially if years later it was coming back to bite me as unpaid.

Personally, I'd go over to La Jolla Village Shopping Center and take out a 2nd job to pay the fines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">