• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walking on grass in my neighborhood illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mansoor757

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I live in a quiet suburban neighborhood. i was walking home from school on the sidewalk in front of houses. I caught up to some people and they were walking slowly and I tried passing them by walking on the portion of grass between the sidewalk and the road in front of someone's house. The person that lived in the house by the strip of grass got pissed off at me for walking in that area? am i or is he in the wrong? I though this portion of grass is always owned by the city. And also is it ilelgal to walk on someones grass lawn? thank you

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I live in a quiet suburban neighborhood. i was walking home from school on the sidewalk in front of houses. I caught up to some people and they were walking slowly and I tried passing them by walking on the portion of grass between the sidewalk and the road in front of someone's house. The person that lived in the house by the strip of grass got pissed off at me for walking in that area? am i or is he in the wrong? I though this portion of grass is always owned by the city. And also is it ilelgal to walk on someones grass lawn? thank you
(Really? This is an issue?)

I'm not bothering with such a silly question to look up laws in your state, but in my city, the grass in front of individual homes, whether the main lawn or the part of lawn between sidewalk and street, is owned and maintained by the homeowner.

Stay off the lawns. They take money and work to be green and pretty and soft and mowed and weed-free. They are not yours, regardless of to whom they belong. Walk on the sidewalk or the street.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I'm not bothering with such a silly question to look up laws in your state, but in my city, the grass in front of individual homes, whether the main lawn or the part of lawn between sidewalk and street, is owned and maintained by the homeowner.

Stay off the lawns. They take money and work to be green and pretty and soft and mowed and weed-free. They are not yours, regardless of to whom they belong. Walk on the sidewalk or the street.
Owned by the homeowner with an easement to the city for use as part of the sidewalk, etc ;)

But I agree...don't walk on the pretty grass when you can just say "excuse me" and pass...or wait an extra couple of seconds for the next driveway.

M

Mansoor757

Okay so if I catch someone walking on my lawn or the grass between the sidewalk and the road in front of my home, what can I do? it happens all the time in my neighborhood and I assumed it was legal to do. And what if someone walks up my driveway? Like a telemarketer.

Zigner

Okay so if I catch someone walking on my lawn or the grass between the sidewalk and the road in front of my home, what can I do? it happens all the time in my neighborhood and I assumed it was legal to do. And what if someone walks up my driveway? Like a telemarketer.
Telemarketers, but definition, won't be walking up to your door ;)

It's really astounding that you see this as an issue. Sure, you happened upon a loon - just avoid walking on grass that's not yours and your life will be pleasant.

M

Mansoor757

Owned by the homeowner with an easement to the city for use as part of the sidewalk, etc ;)

But I agree...don't walk on the pretty grass when you can just say "excuse me" and pass...or wait an extra couple of seconds for the next driveway.
I guess youre right. I should have waited for the next driveway. But these were punk teenagers walking extremeley slowly. I was in a hurry.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mansoor757

It's really astounding that you see this as an issue. Sure, you happened upon a loon - just avoid walking on grass that's not yours and your life will be pleasant.
Oops. I meant solicitors.

M

Mansoor757

I just dont understand why xx got so mad at me for walking on the grass. I live in a wealthy neighborhood and everyone is kind and respectful. I wasnt even expecting the guy to confront me. He told me he was replacing the grass in the that particular area.

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

The grass strip can be owned by the homeowner or the city, depending on your locale, but it is generally the responsibility of the homeowner to care for the area, just as the homeowner is responsible for clearing the snow off the sidewalk in front of their home. Repairs to the grass strips, curbs or sidewalks, however, would generally fall to the city.

Here is a Wikipedia link (which is an indication of how much effort I am willing to put into this ;)): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_verge

If you catch someone walking on grass in front of your home, you can tell them to stop. You can put up No Trespassing signs on your main property if you are really intent on keeping people off the grass that grows there. If someone walks up your driveway, like a telemarketer who has lost his phone, you can tell the person you are not interested in what they have to sell.

Unless grass or other plantings are damaged by someone walking over them, there is really nothing you can do about those few who choose to do so - except perhaps yell at them like the one homeowner did who yelled at you.

Last edited:
M

Mansoor757

The grass strip can be owned by the homeowner or the city, depending on your locale, but it is generally the responsibility of the homeowner to care for the area, just as the homeowner is responsible for clearing the snow off the sidewalk in front of their home. Repairs to the grass strips, curbs or sidewalks, however, would generally fall to the city.

Here is a Wikipedia link (which is an indication of how much effort I am willing to put into this ;)): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_verge

If you catch someone walking on grass in front of your home, you can tell them to stop. You can put up No Trespassing signs on your main property if you are really intent on keeping people off the grass that grows there. If someone walks up your driveway, like a telemarketer, you can tell the person you are not interested in what they have to sell.

Unless grass or other plantings are damaged by someone walking over them, there is really nothing you can do about those few who choose to do so - except perhaps yell at them like the one homeowner did who yelled at you.
Thanks for the helpful info. Can you give me the links or tell me about laws for solicitors in my area? Are they allowed to walk up my driveway? I feel that that is an invasion of my privacy. My house is not gated btw. Are they allowed to legally ring my doorbell as well?

Zigner

Thanks for the helpful info. Can you give me the links or tell me about laws for solicitors in my area? Are they allowed to walk up my driveway? I feel that that is an invasion of my privacy. My house is not gated btw. Are they allowed to legally ring my doorbell as well?
Yes, they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">