• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

want to drop criminal charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rav_0341

What is the name of your state? CA

I just want to know if I can drop criminal charges for grand theft. I was the victim of my computer stolen. I got it back though, by the person who is now in jail. He called me to tell me he knew who had the computer and assisted in getting my computer back to me. He did this is good faith, but unfortanetly was the prime suspect and is now being charged with grand theft. I have no relations to him and would like to drop the charges of grand theft. I spoke with the DA and she says that once charges are put down they cannot be dropped. However, I dont feel this is right cause my name appears as the person bringing forth these charges. My question is: In a felony, criminal case, can the victim drop the charges if requested?

CdwJava

rav_0341 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I just want to know if I can drop criminal charges for grand theft. I was the victim of my computer stolen. I got it back though, by the person who is now in jail. He called me to tell me he knew who had the computer and assisted in getting my computer back to me. He did this is good faith, but unfortanetly was the prime suspect and is now being charged with grand theft. I have no relations to him and would like to drop the charges of grand theft. I spoke with the DA and she says that once charges are put down they cannot be dropped. However, I dont feel this is right cause my name appears as the person bringing forth these charges. My question is: In a felony, criminal case, can the victim drop the charges if requested?
The DA has absolute discretion in the matter. Normally, your desires will have some bearing on the prosecution of the case, but there may be some other reasons to go after the suspect ... perhaps this is not his first time and they want to do something about him before there are more victims.

If he is convicted, you can always testify for leniency at his sentencing, I suppose.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">