• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to file a protective order against the freind of a neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iditarod656

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

This friend used to live across the street from me, but was evicted. He still comes around every day to visit another neighbor. I only know his first name, and don't know where he's living now. I do know where the neighbor he comes to visit lives.

Ok there are 4 things I want to list as my reason for asking for it:

1. This friend of my neighbor saw me putting up a neighborhood watch flier early on a Friday Morning, and the next day bot I and my significant other found that sugar had been poured into the gas tanks of both our cars. We did not see who did it. (We have since put locking gas caps on our cars, and no harm was done to the cars, but they thought it would harm the cars). I can think of no one else who would want to do this.

2. After a 2nd neighborhood watch meeting a month later, I and another woman who attended the meeting, had a graffiti warning painted on the fire extinguisher case in both our stairwells. (She lives in an other building). Right after the meeting, I was informed that this friend of my neighbor had held his own "neighborhood watch" meeting in front of my building. 3 days after that, I saw the graffiti warning. The staff here asked around, and was told that it done by my neighbor who lives in my building.

3. The friend of my neighbor decided it's a good idea to harass me, and recently told a man standing near me not to talk to "that old ugly ass bitch." Loud enough for me to hear him.

4. Last week, I was standing out in the yard right in front of my condo, and he came around the corner. He started laughing and asking me why my dog isn't dead yet. He did it 3 times, and when I sad that he's harassing me, he just said "shut up bitch," got in his car and left.

I only actually have some proof for #2: I have a photo of the graffiti. The site manager here also saw it: I helped him clean it up. He knows who did it. He's the one who asked around about it.
The man who got told not to talk to me in #3, is not going to against the friend of my neighbor.

Should I still be able to get a TPO with these incidents?

Should I get the TPO just against the visiting friend, or against both the friend and the neighbor that he comes to visit?

I'm going to ask for the stalking and harassment protective order.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Eekamouse

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

This friend used to live across the street from me, but was evicted. He still comes around every day to visit another neighbor. I only know his first name, and don't know where he's living now. I do know where the neighbor he comes to visit lives.

Ok there are 4 things I want to list as my reason for asking for it:

1. This friend of my neighbor saw me putting up a neighborhood watch flier early on a Friday Morning, and the next day bot I and my significant other found that sugar had been poured into the gas tanks of both our cars. We did not see who did it. (We have since put locking gas caps on our cars, and no harm was done to the cars, but they thought it would harm the cars). I can think of no one else who would want to do this.

2. After a 2nd neighborhood watch meeting a month later, I and another woman who attended the meeting, had a graffiti warning painted on the fire extinguisher case in both our stairwells. (She lives in an other building). Right after the meeting, I was informed that this friend of my neighbor had held his own "neighborhood watch" meeting in front of my building. 3 days after that, I saw the graffiti warning. The staff here asked around, and was told that it done by my neighbor who lives in my building.

3. The friend of my neighbor decided it's a good idea to harass me, and recently told a man standing near me not to talk to "that old ugly ass bitch." Loud enough for me to hear him.

4. Last week, I was standing out in the yard right in front of my condo, and he came around the corner. He started laughing and asking me why my dog isn't dead yet. He did it 3 times, and when I sad that he's harassing me, he just said "shut up bitch," got in his car and left.

I only actually have some proof for #2: I have a photo of the graffiti. The site manager here also saw it: I helped him clean it up. He knows who did it. He's the one who asked around about it.
The man who got told not to talk to me in #3, is not going to against the friend of my neighbor.

Should I still be able to get a TPO with these incidents?

Should I get the TPO just against the visiting friend, or against both the friend and the neighbor that he comes to visit?

I'm going to ask for the stalking and harassment protective order.

Thanks for your thoughts.
He really hasn't threatened you and you really do not have proof that he did what you are saying.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is there a reason you can't stick to a single thread?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/neighbors-boundaries-108/neighbors-friends-slashed-my-tires-over-calling-police-612758.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/neighbors-boundaries-108/want-record-neighbors-business-customers-614730.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/send-complaint-letter-both-my-landlord-neighbors-condo-owner-614973.html

(Frankly, it sounds like you're probably the harasser in their eyes.)

Eekamouse

Is there a reason you can't stick to a single thread?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/neighbors-boundaries-108/neighbors-friends-slashed-my-tires-over-calling-police-612758.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/neighbors-boundaries-108/want-record-neighbors-business-customers-614730.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/send-complaint-letter-both-my-landlord-neighbors-condo-owner-614973.html

(Frankly, it sounds like you're probably the harasser in their eyes.)
No kidding. OP seems to not be able to live and let live. No wonder she is having all these ongoing issues with her neighbors. OP, you might want to try minding your own business and see if they leave you alone then.

iditarod656

Boy I love the trolling on this forum. You don't think that an attempt to destroy the engines of two cars, a graffiti threat, and asking me why my dog isn't dead yet, is a problem?
What kind of law do you practice? heh.

Of course I'm the one with the problem in their eyes, they are POS who don't care and never will.

Now, can we stick to the question? Either answer the question or say nothing. If you are not qualified to answer the question, please also just pass on by.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Boy I love the trolling on this forum. You don't think that an attempt to destroy the engines of two cars, a graffiti threat, and asking me why my dog isn't dead yet, is a problem?

Of course I'm the one with the problem in their eyes, they are POS who don't care and never will.

Now, can we stick to the question? Either answer the question or say nothing. If you are not qualified to answer the question, please also just pass on by.

Thanks!
Alrighty then.

LdiJ

Thanks!
All of those are definitely problematic. The problem is, the only thing you can prove is the person in question, is the comment about your dog. The other stuff is circumstantial at best, and your assumption at worst. It happened, but you cannot prove who did it. Any decent attorney could make that comment about your dog turn into an insult rather than a threat.

Just Blue

Thanks!
Sorry...The "trolls" are currently under the bridge having dinner. Perhaps you should hire an Attorney to help you...:rolleyes:

quincy

Boy I love the trolling on this forum. ...
YOU may love the trolling on this forum but WE don't appreciate trolling or trolls, so please do not start any more threads on this same issue.

You have been provided with responses. You have been told that you need PROOF before filing an harassment complaint against anyone. What you appear to have is evidence that crimes were committed (photos of graffiti, slashed tires). To date, you do not appear to have any proof of who committed these crimes. A suspicion of who the culprit is will not be enough.

That said, if you do not like the responses you have been receiving in all of your many threads, I suggest you seek out the help of an attorney in your area.

Good luck.

iditarod656

I don't have a problem with being told that I don't have enough evidence. I have a problem with being told I should mind my own business.
I have a problem with the assumption that I'm the one with the problem. Are you all amateur psychologists too? You know, I've seen other
people have to stand up to this group of regulars too. Self awareness is a good thing! Try getting some!

I would LOVE to frigging mind my own business. Please tell me how I can, with all the boom car noise, the yelling, the partying at 3 am
with boom cars going so loud it shakes the walls. Or do you just love to heap abuse on people?

I wonder if "eekamouse" would think that slashed tires, sugar in the gas tank, and graffiti warnings would be so great,
if it happened to IT?

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I don't have a problem with being told that I don't have enough evidence. I have a problem with being told I should mind my own business.
Self awareness is a good thing! Try getting some!

I would LOVE to frigging mind my own business. Please tell me how I can, with all the boom car noise, the yelling, the partying at 3 am
with boom cars going so loud it shakes the walls. Or do you just love to heap abuse on people?

I wonder if "eekamouse" would think that slashed tires, sugar in the gas tank, and grafftti warnings would be so great,
if it happened to it?
Aren't you done yet?

Call the LEO if the problems are so bad. Let them deal with it.

As far as the rest of your comment? I'd move if my neighborhood was that bad. :cool:

CdwJava

with boom cars going so loud it shakes the walls.
You can call the police. That may resolve the problem, it may not. If the police get enough calls on the matter they may get creative about solving the matter. If it's one noise call every few weeks, they may not spend mroe than two minutes on it to tell people to turn the noise down and go to bed.

If it is an ongoing issue with more than one neighbor, then you may have to consider moving, or, living with the problem.

If the police allow you the option of making a so-called "citizen's arrest" for disturbing your peace, then consider it. They may get a citation to court or may go to jail, depending on what NV policy and law says on the matter.

If these neighbors are renters, you and other like-minded neighbors should look into the possibility of contacting the owners of the properties and complaining to them and even suggesting that you might take civil action against them. I can't speak for NV in particular, but in most states there are ways to pursue small claims or other civil action against property owners that maintain or allow nuisance properties or issues to continue.

I wonder if "eekamouse" would think that slashed tires, sugar in the gas tank, and graffiti warnings would be so great,
if it happened to IT?
I doubt that anyone would. But, in your case you appear to be applying for a protective order against someone that you cannot show has caused you any threat of harm aside from a dog comment that is unlikely to rise to the level necessary.

What have you done in the past four months to try and resolve this matter?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">