• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wanting to protest a Police Department/City Hall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bgood2me

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

A group of people and I want to protest the Police Department for withholding information to the public. There was an officer shooting last week and the Police Department refuses to release any information. It looks as if this person was shot dead by the officer was not in possession of a weapon. This person may have been an innocent bystander but the Police Department refuses any more information.

This is the same Police Department that refused to release information regarding the missing person case of Susan Powell.

How can we prevent future cases like this from happening?

Can we protest freely to bring awareness to this issue?

How can I participate in a protest without the chances of getting arrested? I am not willing to be arrested to voice this issue.

Is it the public's right to have correct information? Is the Police Department protected from releasing information when a mistake is made?

I wanted to thank you for all replies ahead of time. Thank you for your attention in this matter. ;)

Mass_Shyster

A group of people and I want to protest the Police Department for withholding information to the public. There was an officer shooting last week and the Police Department refuses to release any information. It looks as if this person was shot dead by the officer was not in possession of a weapon. This person may have been an innocent bystander but the Police Department refuses any more information.

This is the same Police Department that refused to release information regarding the missing person case of Susan Powell.

How can I participate in a protest without the chances of getting arrested? I am not willing to be arrested to voice this issue.

Is it the public's right to have correct information? Is the Police Department protected from releasing information when a mistake is made?

I wanted to thank you for all replies ahead of time. Thank you for your attention in this matter. ;)
Read this:

http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know-your-rights-demonstrations-and-protests

http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know-your-rights-demonstrations-and-protests

Also, if the police tell you to move along, or pretty much anything else, do not make the mistake of arguing with them. You argue with the judge, not the police officer (even if s/he's wrong). If you're not willing to get arrested, then do EXACTLY what the police tell you to do, whether or not you believe they have the right to issue that order.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

The police are not required to tell the public everything and anything. If there was a shooting last week, the investigation may be ongoing. You and the rest of the public are not entitled to ALL information whenever you demand it.

You can protest according to the laws for protests (if a permit is required or other steps need to be taken or there are restrictions on where protests can happen, then you need to follow those laws/restrictions/rules).

Follow all laws and restrictions however there is always a chance to be arrested depending on your behavior or the behavior of others in the group.

No it is not the public's "right". And it is possible that the Police Department does not have to release the information at this point.

CdwJava

In fact, if the matter is under review as an internal investigation, the department may be violating the law if they DO provide information.

Bgood2me

In fact, if the matter is under review as an internal investigation, the department may be violating the law if they DO provide information.

These are all excellent answers. This means a lot to me. Thank you for your replies.

Yes CdwJava, there is an internal investigation. I would not address it if I had confidence in the Department or the process. This is the same Department that handled the case of missing Susan Powell. Missing since December 9th, 2009. We trusted the Department to release information on their investigation or make an arrest. As of today they refuse to release information and there was no internal investigation.

We are just afraid that this case will be swept under the rug and dismissed.

I am not willing to go to jail over this issue. I will do more research before I move to protest on December 1st.

I can control my own behaviour but not the behaviour of others. I fully respect the law and the commands of an officer. I am not looking for trouble, I just want to bring awareness and not allow this womans death to go in vain. What if it happened to me or my daughter or a close loved one? I sincerely want to trust the City's Police Department but find it hard to. I am looking for encouragement.

Thoughts and feelings change thank heaven. There is a possibility that I won't attend, I am just looking into my rights and exactly what are we trying to accomplish.

I appreciate all of the replies! Thank you! I have been watching FA forum since 2005 and I admire a lot of the senior members.

Silverplum

I'm assuming this is the case that bothers the OP: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55221940-78/kennedy-daughter-police-willard.html.csp

In this article, this quote stood out for me: "West Valley police have said they will not release specific details about the shooting until the investigation is completed." http://www.ksl.com/?sid=22876321&nid=148

In yet another article, the mother of the dead woman specifically says she is willing to wait for the complete police investigation: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865566268/Mother-of-woman-killed-by-police-visits-memorial-waits-for-answers.html?pg=2

So what's YOUR problem? You aren't the mother, and you aren't acting on her behalf.

Last edited:

Bgood2me

I'm assuming this is the case that bothers the OP: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55221940-78/kennedy-daughter-police-willard.html.csp

In this article, this quote stood out for me: "West Valley police have said they will not release specific details about the shooting until the investigation is completed." http://www.ksl.com/?sid=22876321&nid=148

In yet another article, the mother of the dead woman specifically says she is willing to wait for the complete police investigation: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865566268/Mother-of-woman-killed-by-police-visits-memorial-waits-for-answers.html?pg=2

So what's YOUR problem? You aren't the mother, and you aren't acting on her behalf.
Good question. I am looking at this myself. What are we trying to accomplish before we get out there to protest? My biggest fear would be to look like a fool. I have posted my questions because I want to know what I am getting into before I jump.

Thank you for your reply Silverplum, I believe you don't want me to make myself look foolish either.

I think that the main issue here is if there was a mistake we would like to know. We are human, mistakes happen people should just take accountibility without excuses or blame. This case should not be swept under the rug to never be heard from again just like the Susan Powell case. That's all?

I am looking into this further.

Edited to add: We completed the same Treatment Program together. I am positive that she was not involved in drugs. I am sober from my addiction to alcohol for my first year 11/29! Where's the confetti? ;)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Good question. I am looking at this myself. What are we trying to accomplish before we get out there to protest? My biggest fear would be to look like a fool. I have posted my questions because I want to know what I am getting into before I jump.

Thank you for your reply Silverplum, I believe you don't want me to make myself look foolish either.

I think that the main issue here is if there was a mistake we would like to know. We are human, mistakes happen people should just take accountibility without excuses or blame. This case should not be swept under the rug to never be heard from again just like the Susan Powell case. That's all?

I am looking into this further.
This happened a week ago. Patience.

CdwJava

These are all excellent answers. This means a lot to me. Thank you for your replies.

Yes CdwJava, there is an internal investigation. I would not address it if I had confidence in the Department or the process. This is the same Department that handled the case of missing Susan Powell. Missing since December 9th, 2009. We trusted the Department to release information on their investigation or make an arrest. As of today they refuse to release information and there was no internal investigation.
In a missing person case where the circumstances are suspicious, releasing info to the public is NOT going to happen unless the investigation is truly at a dead end and it is believed that the release of certain information will help in the location of the victim or identification of a suspect. No competent police department is going to release details of an ongoing investigation as that would be really, really, REALLY, dumb!

Why would you expect them to release such info???

It's fine to hold an agency's feet to the fire, but understand that protocols and legalities restrict the information an agency can release, and common sense limits a goodly amount of the rest of it.

EDIT: Understand that an investigation of this sort might take months. It might also involve an investigation by the county prosecutor's office or even the state, and that may further hold up the release of any information. I'd say it will be AT LEAST a month before any significant information is released, and quite likely longer than that. All the protests in the world will not change the process or the law, so this protest may be cathartic for people, but it will likely have no real impact on the release of information.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">