• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The War of Northern Aggression

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane

The South did not lose the War of Northern Aggression.

We are just waiting for supplies.
The Constitution does not authorize the Federal government, or any combination of states (including Northern states) to raise armies to invade, occupy or otherwise subdue or compel other states (including Southern ones). It does say that any power not specifically given to the Federal government remains with the states, or the people. Since the framers of the Constitution fought a war to establish the rights of Independence and Self-Government, it stands to reason that those rights (the right Independence, and the right of Self-Government) were included among the rights of the states, or the people.

If therefore, the War of Northern Aggression was unconstitutional, and illegal, it follows that it is the Northern flag that is treasonous, not the Southern one.What is the name of your state?

CdwJava

Nice twist.

There are so many twists on the issue depending on who is doing the talking. But, claiming that the display of the Confederate flag (absent other circumstances) consistutes the crime of "treason" is ludicrous.

I'd be really embarassed to go arrest Billy Bob for the Confederate flag in his garage while leaving Heinrich Hermann alone with his N A Z I flag. :eek:

- Carl

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Nice twist.

I'd be really embarassed to go arrest Billy Bob for the Confederate flag in his garage while leaving Heinrich Hermann alone with his **** flag. :eek:

- Carl
Wenn Sie mich finden können, können Sie kommen Nehmen meine Markierungsfahne :D

CdwJava

Ugh ... my German is far too rusty for riddles. :confused:

I'll have to leave that there ... now, where's my coffee?

- Carl

U

USPatriot

The Constitution does not authorize the Federal government, or any combination of states (including Northern states) to raise armies to invade, occupy or otherwise subdue or compel other states (including Southern ones). It does say that any power not specifically given to the Federal government remains with the states, or the people. Since the framers of the Constitution fought a war to establish the rights of Independence and Self-Government, it stands to reason that those rights (the right Independence, and the right of Self-Government) were included among the rights of the states, or the people.

If therefore, the War of Northern Aggression was unconstitutional, and illegal, it follows that it is the Northern flag that is treasonous, not the Southern one.What is the name of your state?
Another Tim McVeigh-type trying to re-write history. Everyone who ever attended the 8th grade knows that the Civil War started when a group of terrorists fired on Fort Sumter on April 12, 1861.

On April 19, 1995, McVeigh detonated a seven-ton truck bomb outside the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building that killed 168 people, including 19 children, in the second deadliest act of terrorism ever committed on American soil.

It is well-iknown that McVeigh displayed the Confederate battle flag, and even had ties to groups that used the Confederate flag as their symbol.

While McVeigh's racist views are troubling, it is other views which he held, like those expressed above, that should concern us the most. McVeigh despised the United States and bombing the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building was his way of expressing his festered hatred for this great Country.

Allowing Americans to openly display the Confederate flag is dangerous. Tim McVeigh is proof of that. September 11, 2001 is further proof of how Anti-American sentiments can harm Americans.

U

USPatriot

The Constitution does not authorize the Federal government, or any combination of states (including Northern states) to raise armies to invade, occupy or otherwise subdue or compel other states (including Southern ones).
Do you realize that the United States had an army for almost 100 years before the start of the Civil War? It was the Confederacy that raised an army to lvey war against the United States, a clear act of treason.

janimal

I'm curious as to why you have no problem with the flags of other former foes.

Does the Union Jack or Japanese flag offend? How do you feel about the display of the swastika?

HappyHusband

Do you realize that the United States had an army for almost 100 years before the start of the Civil War? It was the Confederacy that raised an army to lvey war against the United States, a clear act of treason.
How is it treasonous for one sovereign nation to wage war against another sovereign nation?

CdwJava

USPatriot said:
Of course it's treason - the north won.

We committed treason against the Crown when we raised an army to fight for independence from England. We won that fight, hence it was not treason but a patriotic act.

Why is this such an issue for you? It is NOT against the law to fly the Confederate flag. if you want to MAKE it against the law, lobby your Congresscritter.

- Carl

CdwJava

HappyHusband said:
How is it treasonous for one sovereign nation to wage war against another sovereign nation?
And, arguably, the south had become an independent nation. Moreover, The Confederate States became an independent nation BEFORE any federal forts were fired upon or seized. So, technically, firing on the forst can be an act of war - not treason.

Note: That I am a dyed-in-the-wool (blue) Yankee at heart, but I have been an aficionado of the Civil War for 20 years so I understand the arguments FOR the south even if I might not agree with all of them. I play a Confederate on the battlefield and in living history events ... 19 years re-enacting and been a Yankee only twice.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">