• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wedding mishap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Iczer313

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Recently I found out that an Ex of my wife's attended our wedding which he was explicitly not invited to.
I'm sure this may fall into small claims, but does anyone think there may be legal recourse to this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
On what basis would you sue? What damages did you suffer? If you only just found out about it, he couldn't have caused any upset at the time or you would have known sooner. If you're thinking that you can take legal action just because he attended without an invitation, you are mistaken, to say the least.

I

Iczer313

I was thinking psychological dammages...trespassing.
things of that nature

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Iczer313 said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

"Recently I found out that an Ex of my wife's attended our wedding which he was explicitly not invited to.
I'm sure this may fall into small claims, but does anyone think there may be legal recourse to this?"

==================================

My response:

I read what you said, but I'm not quite sure (if at all) what you intend to accomplish, or want to accomplish. Also, assuming that you do have a cause of action for "party crashing", what are your damages?

The problem, as I see it, is that the "deed" was done, is not an ongoing situation, and you can't go back in time to correct a situation like this.

Please explain a little further.

IAAL

I

Iczer313

Well, the way I look at it is this.
My wife had a long talk with him and that was supposedly closure to their somewhat lengthy relationship.
What's to prevent this guy from continuously harrassing her throughout her life by popping up uninvited?
I really (more thn anything) want him to learn a lesson. It was not his right to be at that day in our lives and frankly, I'll be a tad upset if I find pictures with him lurking in the background.
I realize it is in the past and at the moment did not affect us. It can affect us now, however. My wife is really upset.

Beth3

You can't sue the guy for what he HASN'T done yet, i.e. pestering her in the future or showing up where he's not wanted.

As far as the wedding goes, you and your wife didn't even know he was there. He obviously didn't make a problem at the wedding or reception. You have absolutely no basis to sue him.

I see no reason why you and your wife shouldn't assume his dropping by your wedding wasn't his putting closure on the past. Unless future problems ensue, just let it go and be happy in your new life together.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Iczer313 said:
Well, the way I look at it is this.
My wife had a long talk with him and that was supposedly closure to their somewhat lengthy relationship.
What's to prevent this guy from continuously harrassing her throughout her life by popping up uninvited?
I really (more thn anything) want him to learn a lesson. It was not his right to be at that day in our lives and frankly, I'll be a tad upset if I find pictures with him lurking in the background.
I realize it is in the past and at the moment did not affect us. It can affect us now, however. My wife is really upset.

My response:

The only things, really, that you can do to protect yourselves in the future if he keeps "popping into your lives" is to file a complaint with your local police department under your States' "Anti-Stalking" statutes, and then use that information to file for a Restraining Order.

IAAL

H

hmmbrdzz

This guy sounds a little pushy, if not creepy, showing up to your wedding. If she (or you) has advised him once (once is all it takes) something to the effect, "leave us alone", or "do not attend our wedding", "do not call", etc. and he keeps making his presence in your life anyhow, that is all you need to proceed with obtaining a restraining order and filing charges against him for stalking. If neither of you have advised him, though, in that manner and she has just "talked" to him, that would not be enough to legally keep him away. To make sure he gets out of your life and stays out, she or you must be clear in your instructions to him, "leave us alone". You only have to say it once and don't have to elaborate. If he complies for a while and then pops up again, call the police, get a restraining order, and go to court when you're supposed to. If, after a restraining order is slapped on him and he violates it once, they'll throw him in jail. That is the only legal way you can keep this from happening.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">