• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Welfare Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pookie415

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?New York

About 11yrs ago I had two welfare cases under different names for some months. Then I left New York for about 1 1/2 yrs. When I came back I tried it again but this time they had the finger imaging....I was stupid ...I was thinking i could beat it and both names came up. So I left that day and never went back. Now ten years later I'm behind in my rent and i need to get a loan from them...What do think will happen if I apply?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........

Well, the first thing they are going to do is give you a chance to rectify it through a fraud agent at Dept of Social Services, if you are non compliant with their request for repayment, then they will press charges and issue a warrant for your arrest, and if the amount is over a certain amount that you defrauded the government out of, then you will be charged with a felony. I believe it is $500.00 or more. A grand jury hears your case and they will decide whether or not to indite you on the fraud charges. In some cases, because you probably have children, the District Attorney gives you an opportunity for you to pay it back, without you getting a criminal record for it, but it looks like you can't do that so jail may be eminent. During this time your children can still get welfare, but you will be disqualified, and they will just deduct the amount you defrauded out of your TANF benefits every month. Just curious to know, and I am not judging you, but why would you do that? I know welfare doesn't give you that much to live on, but that is the point, so you can use it as a stepping stone to get on your feet to get a job. This is why it is so difficult for other people to get it because of this. It may take them a while to find you, and if the amount defrauded is not alot, they may just write it off, and let it go, but let this be a lesson to you. I say go face the music. Now that you really need help now, you can't get it. A lesson bought and paid for.

HomeGuru

pookie415 said:

About 11yrs ago I had two welfare cases under different names for some months. Then I left New York for about 1 1/2 yrs. When I came back I tried it again but this time they had the finger imaging....I was stupid ...I was thinking i could beat it and both names came up. So I left that day and never went back. Now ten years later I'm behind in my rent and i need to get a loan from them...What do think will happen if I apply?

**A: you're kidding right?

crbjor929

Welfare Statue

:D
pookie415 said:

IF IT HAS BEEN TEN YRS THEN THE STATUE OF LIMITATIONS IS UP THEY CAN ONLY COME AFTER YOU CRIMINALY 2 YRS MISDIMENER WHICH IS LESS THAN 500.00 AND 4 YRS FELONY WHICH IS MORE THAN 500 AND LESS THAN A 1000 I KNOW THIS BECAUSE THEY ARE TRYING TO GET ME ON THE SAME THING FOR MY HUSBAND AND I BEING SEPERATED THEY SAY BECAUSE HE PROVIDES CARE,GUIDEANCE,AND SUPPORT FOR HIS KIDS HE IS PART OF THE HOUSEHOLD EVEN IF HE LIVED IN ANOTHER STATE THIS IS ALL BECAUSE THE COPS ARE AFTER ME AND THEY ARE TRYING ANYTHING THEY CAN TO GET ME HOWEVER THE JUDGE JUST DISSMISSED 18 OF THE CHARGES BECAUSE OF STATUES SO I WOULD'NT WORRY ABOUT IT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">