• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What am i looking at here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scaredstiff

What is the name of your state? California

I made the stupid mistake of takinga laptop computer from my employer. Never done anything like this before in my life, just bored at work I guess. To make a long story short I was presented with the option of facing no criminal charges if the laptop was returned. I was then fired.

I receieved a call fro a county sheriff stating that he was on the way to my house to arrest me unless the computer was returned. I immediately returned the computer. With verbal confirmation from my employer he agreed to not press any charges. The officer agreed not to take me to jail. At no point did I confess to taking the computer nor did anyone see me return the machine.

The police officer calls two days later to state that he must now file the report, however he is including that the computer was returned in the same condition and that i upheld my end of the bargain. AS far as he was concerned everything is resolved. He said it is up to the DA at this point. Will the DA wish to prosecute me for something that has been resolved? If my employer has agreed not tto press charges can the DA still come after me? In all likelyhood will the DA come after me? As of right now I have a clean record with nothing one it (one speeding ticket).

I was instructed that a letter would come in the mail. Will this take a long time? Am I being totally paranoid about this? Will it go away? If it did come back would I be looking at probation? Felony? Mis? Jail time?

Just made a dumb mistake that could cost me my goals in life, especially since I'm applying to law school in a few months.

Please help me with this anxiety.

S

seniorjudge

Scaredstiff said:
...(1) Will the DA wish to prosecute me for something that has been resolved? (2) If my employer has agreed not tto press charges can the DA still come after me? (3)In all likelyhood will the DA come after me?...(4) Will this take a long time? Am I being totally paranoid about this? Will it go away? If it did come back would I be looking at probation? Felony? Mis? Jail time?
(1) It has not been resolved and the DA is the only one who can answer that question.

(2) Yes

(3) Only the DA can answer that one

(4) I do not know about the time or your paranoia or whether it will go away or your possible punishment.

Scaredstiff

So upon speaking with a lawyer I was advised to have her file a letter with the report while it is under review. The DA office said that it is still pending but it has been filed as Grand theft.

Is it a good idea to retain an attorny at this point and file the letter outlining my side of the story, prior to formally being charged?

Will this effect the outcome of the review?

What should the letter draw attention to besides my side of the story for this specific incedent, ie. criminal history (of which I have none), personality? Should it draw attention to the fact that there was an agreement between the company, police officer and myself?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">