• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do, advice please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marie Vincent

I live in NH and was physically assaulted while on the phone with 911 requesting police assistance. When the police arrived, I was told "if I chose to press charges, I would be arrested as well." When the same officers did a civil standby so the girl that assaulted me could get her bags, I told the PD she was taking my property too. I was then told by the PD "mam, can you prove the items are yours?" Also "mam, you want her gone so let her take what she believes to be her things and leave." So that the issue would be resolved and over with. Is this legal?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in NH and was physically assaulted while on the phone with 911 requesting police assistance. When the police arrived, I was told "if I chose to press charges, I would be arrested as well." When the same officers did a civil standby so the girl that assaulted me could get her bags, I told the PD she was taking my property too. I was then told by the PD "mam, can you prove the items are yours?" Also "mam, you want her gone so let her take what she believes to be her things and leave." So that the issue would be resolved and over with. Is this legal?
Yes, it's legal. If you feel that she took items that are yours, and you can prove it, then sue her for the value of those items.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">