• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Constitutes "Adequate Shelter" for Dogs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seirei

I live in Phenix City, AL. Which is in Russell County.

We recently moved here from Georgia (we've been here less than a week, actually). As per our landlord's specific instructions, our two dogs are leashed in specific locations in our yard. Today, I received a visit from an animal control "officer." He first demanded by ID, and radioed in my name and information. He then demanded vaccination papers, which I provided for one dog and explained the other dog was only two months old. He became very irate and kept telling me to shut up and that he'd "haul my ass in front of a judge." Typical badge-wielding ego complex. Anyways, the main issue arose regarding the shelter for one of the dogs. He said the dog's dog house isn't "adequate shelter" and that we'd have to have something else. I asked what constitutes adequate shelter and through his irate tirade he threatened me again and said it's "what the law of Alabama says it is," said he'd be back in two days and that the dog better have shelter and he left.

So, on top of being completely caught off guard by the visit and feeling kinda ticked off in retrospect, I'm left dumbfounded by what constitutes "adequate shelter." The dog house we have is plenty big enough, doesn't have any holes, is easily accessible by the dog and is weather-resistant. I've looked through the Alabama Code and found absolutely nothing regarding shelter for dogs. Title 3 pertains to animals, but says absolutely nothing regarding shelter. I looked up Municipal ordinances for my city and again, they say nothing about adequate shelter. County ordinances also say nothing regarding "adequate shelter."

I was hoping maybe someone knew where to find this definition? I would call animal control and ask, but it appears that he is literally the only person who works for our animal control department and I'd really rather not deal with him again right now.

Ya ain't in Kansas.

We recently moved here from Georgia (we've been here less than a week, actually). As per our landlord's specific instructions, our two dogs are leashed in specific locations in our yard. Today, I received a visit from an animal control "officer." He first demanded by ID, and radioed in my name and information. He then demanded vaccination papers, which I provided for one dog and explained the other dog was only two months old. He became very irate and kept telling me to shut up and that he'd "haul my ass in front of a judge." Typical badge-wielding ego complex. Anyways, the main issue arose regarding the shelter for one of the dogs. He said the dog's dog house isn't "adequate shelter" and that we'd have to have something else. I asked what constitutes adequate shelter and through his irate tirade he threatened me again and said it's "what the law of Alabama says it is," said he'd be back in two days and that the dog better have shelter and he left.

So, on top of being completely caught off guard by the visit and feeling kinda ticked off in retrospect, I'm left dumbfounded by what constitutes "adequate shelter." The dog house we have is plenty big enough, doesn't have any holes, is easily accessible by the dog and is weather-resistant. I've looked through the Alabama Code and found absolutely nothing regarding shelter for dogs. Title 3 pertains to animals, but says absolutely nothing regarding shelter. I looked up Municipal ordinances for my city and again, they say nothing about adequate shelter. County ordinances also say nothing regarding "adequate shelter."

I was hoping maybe someone knew where to find this definition? I would call animal control and ask, but it appears that he is literally the only person who works for our animal control department and I'd really rather not deal with him again right now.

Have you tried the dictionary?
Here, I'll make it easy for you.
adequate shelter is anywhere YOU would live, a dog can live. So, if you can live in a hot plastic box with no ventilation go for it.

..____________________
~ Pulling an idea like that out of your @ss had to cause permanent damage.
Can you make it to a doctor on your own or do you need help?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why people think that having outside animals is being a good pet owner, I do not know. It strikes me as the height of irresponsibility. Get a pet to leave it chained in the backyard. How many people would like to live chained in the backyard?

CdwJava

But, pets are not required to be provided the same standard of care as people. So, regardless of whether you might think it appropriate to leave a dog in the backyard with access only to a doghouse, the standard of adequate shelter is probably met by that dog house. There is no law anywhere that I am aware of requires a pet owner to keep their dogs inside or provide some large structure for their dog.

Now, it may be that the dogs being "leashed" in the yard is the issue, not simply that they have a doghouse and not an air conditioned condo. Out here, most jurisdictions mandate the minimum length of any chain a dog is on, and may even limit the number of hours the animal can be tied up.

@Seirei, I would go to city hall or whatever animal control office might be responsible for this issue, and ask them what constitutes adequate housing for your dog. Let them know you want to comply with the law, but do not know what the law says about the issue.

xylene

The idea that, for instance, my friend who raises huskies would be required to keep them inside the family home is completely preposterous "pet parent" nonsense.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

I'm sure the county animal shelter/humane society could answer your questions. But leaving dogs tied up outside is not good for the dogs. You do have some kind of shelter for both dogs? And they have access to adequate water all day long? :cool:

xyzchris

i spent a few seconds at google and here is a ballpark idea from a county in alabama, yes I know it isnt yours OP but this gives an idea:

"Adequate Shelter: shall be defined as a house with a floor, a roof, 3 full sides, and a side for entrance and exit. The dog/cat should have enough room inside the
shelter to stand without the head touching the roof and also be able to turn a full circle. "

:)

commentator

In the kind of weather we have sometimes, I would also suggest shade would be a factor. If the only possible shady place that tied dog can get to during the midday heat is inside a plastic doghouse in the direct sun, that's not adequate. If I were an animal control person and I saw a dog broiling in the sun, even if the doghouse was a certain size, I might raise cain with the owner.

CdwJava

But, if no one can point to a definition of "adequate shelter," it would be an impossible statute to obey as it would be ENTIRELY subjective (aka overly vague). It is either a very poorly crafted statute and subject to challenge, or, there is a definition somewhere. This definition is what the OP needs to seek out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">