• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is conversion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

happynow

What is the name of your state? Indiana
A friend told me last night her step-son recieved a summons for check decption and conversion. The decption part is easially understood, but what is conversion? I did a search and didnd find much help.
Thanks guys

HomeGuru

happynow said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
A friend told me last night her step-son recieved a summons for check decption and conversion. The decption part is easially understood, but what is conversion? I did a search and didnd find much help.
Thanks guys
**A: what did your search discover?

H

happynow

Searching on this forum, I found that the word conversion has been used close to 1 billion times.
On the net I found it as the crime of exerting unauthorised use or control of someone else's property. Isn't that theft?

HomeGuru

happynow said:
Searching on this forum, I found that the word conversion has been used close to 1 billion times.

**A: not true.
On the net I found it as the crime of exerting unauthorised use or control of someone else's property. Isn't that theft?

**A: yes but why can't there be more than one description for a single crime.

H

hexeliebe

Here's a hint Happy :D

HG is trying to get you to think for yourself. Not by answering a question with a question, but by thinking....

Now go grasshopper, show the Master you can leave the nest.

H

happynow

tell me, oh wise on HG, am I on the right track now......
Shoplifting: This is usually charged as criminal conversion.

So looking a little closer at it, if he purchased an item with a bad check, knowing the check was bad ( the accound had been closed by him a month before), then with the decpetion charge, the taking of the items would be conversion.........

Am I worthy of leaving the nest???????:D

F

FSUjdh

forget the hints, the isnt damn law school and the socratic method.
conversion is the wrongful taking and carrying away of goods. basically you convert someone elses property to make it your own.

H

hexeliebe

My, aren't we a bit pissy today.

And I suppose you learned that by osmosis and not by a professor who make you find the answer for yourself.

H

happynow

FSUjdh,
You need one of the bords famous chill pills......relax!!!!
I dont mind doing a little research on my own, Lord knows the others have done their share.

F

FSUjdh

that doesnt change the fact that this is a free advice forum, not a socratic method forum, unlike law school, in which you are supposed to learn by the socratic method.

F

FSUjdh

sorry, happynow, just trying to help when then others wouldnt. it wont happen again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">