• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What determines a Game of Chance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcdude

I'm mostly interested in US law, but any insight about international regulations are also welcome!

I want to sell a short supply of a very popular product on my website, but because of the limited stock and because of the various time-zones around the globe, I'd like to give all my customers an equal chance to buy my product. So instead of putting it on my online store and take orders on a "first come, first served" basis, I'd like to have my customers email me stating that they are interested. If the interest I receive is higher than my stock, I'd like to randomly select which customers will be allowed to buy this product.

I'll provide an example to clarify the above process better:
The stock of my product is 10. I receive 25 emails from different customers who are all interested in buying said product. I randomly pick 10 customers from the 25 emails and unlock the website for just them so that they can buy the product.

My concern is that this might be considered as illegal sweepstakes in some areas or countries. I'm mostly interested what applies in this case in the US, but since I also have customers from all around the world, I'd like to know what applies in other countries.

Thanks.

quincy

I'm mostly interested in US law, but any insight about international regulations are also welcome!

I want to sell a short supply of a very popular product on my website, but because of the limited stock and because of the various time-zones around the globe, I'd like to give all my customers an equal chance to buy my product. So instead of putting it on my online store and take orders on a "first come, first served" basis, I'd like to have my customers email me stating that they are interested. If the interest I receive is higher than my stock, I'd like to randomly select which customers will be allowed to buy this product.

I'll provide an example to clarify the above process better:
The stock of my product is 10. I receive 25 emails from different customers who are all interested in buying said product. I randomly pick 10 customers from the 25 emails and unlock the website for just them so that they can buy the product.

My concern is that this might be considered as illegal sweepstakes in some areas or countries. I'm mostly interested what applies in this case in the US, but since I also have customers from all around the world, I'd like to know what applies in other countries.

Thanks.
You will not be collecting money in advance for your products, I assume?

There are 196 countries in the world (give or take a country or two). While I have no doubt that you would like to know what applies in other countries, I don't know anyone on this forum who will do that sort of research for you so. . . . following is a link to a site that provides you with an alphabetical list of countries. I suggest you start your own research at Afghanistan and work your way through to Zimbabwe. http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/countries_of_the_world.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">