• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What determines a 'threat'?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gary King

What determines a threat and can be sent to the police? If someone said, on the internet, that they would send someone to 'deal with you' (and in a non-polite manner, of course) then would something like that constitute as a threat?

Thanks in advance.

CdwJava

Gary King said:
What determines a threat and can be sent to the police? If someone said, on the internet, that they would send someone to 'deal with you' (and in a non-polite manner, of course) then would something like that constitute as a threat?

Thanks in advance.
It depends entirely upon your state laws - and possibly on federal law if the threat originated out of state and/or was communicated via the internet.

Generally, the threat has to have some credibility and a likelihood of being carried out - not just some idle chatter.

But, state laws vary on this.

- Carl

Gary King

Where could I look to find out more about this? Like, a website that talks more about this matter, and possibly another one that relates to different states and such?

Thanks in advance!

CdwJava

Gary King said:
Where could I look to find out more about this? Like, a website that talks more about this matter, and possibly another one that relates to different states and such?

Thanks in advance!
Well, you can search websites and links on various state laws. But, you are talking about a mish-mosh of 50 odd state laws as well as federal ones. There are a number of links and resources here and on other websites. Or, do an internet search on Google with the key words you need to use and see what pops up.

In the circumstance you mention, unless the person was known to you, AND you had a real reason to believe he would carry out the threat coupled with the present ability to do so, it would not likely constitute a "criminal threat" in my state.

- Carl

Gary King

What should I search for? 'Threat laws'? I'm not sure what keywords I should search for. I'm asking this because I am outside of the US (I'm in Canada) so I'm looking for some general advice that can help me too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">