• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what did i steal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paythepiper

What is the name of your state? ca
i make my living by recycling scrap metal, glass, wood, etc..i got a citation for petty theft for stealing "pallets" from a local home improvement store.
according to the Business and Professions code of california 22750.(b)
"Merchandise pallet" is a wooden or plastic carrier or
container, approximately 48 inches by 40 inches with a four-way
forklift entry, used by a manufacturer or distributor to transport
merchandise to retail outlets, which has a notice permanently affixed to it that does all of the following: (1) identifies the company name of the owner of the pallet; (2) notifies the public that the unauthorized possession of the pallet is a violation of state law; and (3) lists a telephone number or address for returning the pallet to the owner.
from the police report:
"there is no identifying labels or markings to indicate the "pallets" belong to or are the property of (the store).
i was only picking up the broken and discarded items, and had gotten permission to do so about 6 months ago. they are trying to say the total cost is $15.00/per item and i had 32. total value of $480.00. (bumps it past a misdemeanor). i only get $1-2/per. so if the officer plainly states there are no labels etc...wasn't it just scrap wood i had?

HomeGuru

paythepiper said:
What is the name of your state? ca
i make my living by recycling scrap metal, glass, wood, etc..i got a citation for petty theft for stealing "pallets" from a local home improvement store.
according to the Business and Professions code of california 22750.(b)
"Merchandise pallet" is a wooden or plastic carrier or
container, approximately 48 inches by 40 inches with a four-way
forklift entry, used by a manufacturer or distributor to transport
merchandise to retail outlets, which has a notice permanently affixed to it that does all of the following: (1) identifies the company name of the owner of the pallet; (2) notifies the public that the unauthorized possession of the pallet is a violation of state law; and (3) lists a telephone number or address for returning the pallet to the owner.
from the police report:
"there is no identifying labels or markings to indicate the "pallets" belong to or are the property of (the store).
i was only picking up the broken and discarded items, and had gotten permission to do so about 6 months ago. they are trying to say the total cost is $15.00/per item and i had 32. total value of $480.00. (bumps it past a misdemeanor). i only get $1-2/per. so if the officer plainly states there are no labels etc...wasn't it just scrap wood i had?
**A: no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">