• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What direction to take?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Drummond

What is the name of your state? NY, Jefferson County

This is such an odd one I wasn't even sure where to post it.

I am a college student who recently completed a major part of my course of study (IT). Being in college means I am fairly dependent on student loans for survival and do alright, but have no other real income to draw from.

My girlfriend and mother of my child had lost her position as a certified nursing assistant in one of the local medical facilities for the aged and only recently was hired at another on a casual, on-call basis. In this area the pay for that position is much lower than the national average so she was utilizing a HUD program to help pay the rent.

I have a different physical adddress in the same area. We decided it was in our best interest not to reside together because I can't help her financially the way I want to while I am in school and she can get some rent assistance while we get back on our feet. If I were to live with her HUD would dramatically increase the amount of rent she/we would have to pay.

She also has a daughter from a previous relationship. Her ex and his wife live in the same county for visitation purposes. However, they do not get along and this has been the root of some of the problems we are now facing.

He has reported to HUD that I am currently residing with her. They in turn wanted some form of proof if I refuted the allegations which I have supplied. My legal address is not hers, my belongings, telephone number, mail and everything else is at my real address. I gave them my driver's license, social security number, brought in bills and financial statements with my address on them, telephone number, etc to show them I do not reside with my girlfriend. I also have no desire to be involved with any social programs and never have been. My family helps me out if I need it while I am in school. Right now I cannot find a job in this area because there is nothing for IT and I am going to be staying with friends downstate looking for work.

I do visit my girlfriend and son on a daily basis, even staying overnight at times but usually at the end of the evening I go home. The ONLY thing I have at her house is my little computer network. This is because broadband access is not available where I live and I need it to practice my networking and security skills for school. However, this should not have an impact on her rent assistance. I also list my auto insurance at her address due to the fact that companies now look at all residents present at an address along with their driving history before underwriting a policy. While my driving record is spotless, my mother's record has been marred by several accidents and I would not be able to choose the company I want at the rate I receive if I were to list my true address even though she doesn't touch my car. This was something I was told to do by the insurance company.

She received a letter from HUD the other day stating I have been added to her household and rent is going up dramatically. I am positively furious these people have done this and am afraid being listed at an address other than my legal, current address is going to have a negative impact on my status to include financial records (loan applications, credit cards, taxes), driving license, etc. In addition, I DON'T live there and don't want to have anything to do with HUD. They can pack sand for all I care.

I had made it clear to HUD that while I could not afford to care and contribute what I want to for my son's welfare, I try to live up to my responsibilities as to the best of my abilities and buy clothes and other things he needs every so often but the amount is not enough to change her status.

What I need to do is go talk to the responsible party at HUD and demand they remove me from their list (or whatever you want to call it). It is incorrect and misleading information and basically says I am guilty of housing fraud, a class E felony. This is NOT the case and I need to know what legal alternatives I have, if any, to bring to their attention in order to convince them to leave me alone and not include me in their crap.

I do not live with my girlfriend and do not contribute to the household. Yet these backwoods, IQ deficient and overpaid former welfare recipients seem to have me over a barrel. Can I threaten them with a lawsuit for harrassment, false information, etc and actually be in the right? Should I drag an attorney in there with me? What am I able to do?

Thanks.

Last edited:

H

hmmbrdzz

Something in your post implies that both of you've possibly attempted to gain benefit from her situation. Some hings you have done in this situation do not look good for you.

1) "We decided it was in our best interest not to reside together because I can't help her financially the way I want to while I am in school and she can get some rent assistance while we get back on our feet."
2) "I do visit my girlfriend and son on a daily basis, even staying overnight at times but usually at the end of the evening I go home. The ONLY thing I have at her house is my little computer network."
3) "I also list my auto insurance at her address."
4) "He has reported to HUD that I am currently residing with her."
5) "I also have no desire to be involved with any social programs and never have been."
6) "She received a letter from HUD the other day stating I have been added to her household and rent is going up dramatically."
7) "It is incorrect and misleading information and basically says I am guilty of housing fraud, a class E felony. This is NOT the case and I need to know what legal alternatives I have, if any, to bring to their attention in order to convince them to leave me alone and not include me in their crap."

There is evidence to show you have included yourself in their crap. If you want to challenge their decision, yes -- drag an attorney in there with you.

hmmbrdzz

FarmerJ

Drum Food for thought . There is a chance you could see this through a whole new light , Discuss this with your folks since you might have to ask them to underwrite you . Take a look at the local real estate market for 3 or 4 unit property and purchase it with a set amount of time to occupy it while renting the other units to make it pay for itself then say by set date ( 18 months post graduation You and Gf must either buy them out fair market value . or property will be sold See thing is the multi unit could either produce enough income to pay them back or Allow you to meet a deadline to get financing to buy them out . The public housing authority where your girlfriends rental is is going to be very hard to fight them not impossible but rather than making a big fight with them you could turn whole thing into new place to live , any agreements made must be in writting as well .

D

Drummond

hmmbrdzz: Whatever it may look like is irrelevant. She is not on welfare. She is using federal rental grants to help cover some of the rent. Of course we are in some way manipulating the system, but we are not breaking the law. Legally and physically I do not reside there. Nothing says I can't have my computers there, visit or use her address for my auto insurance. The fact remains that my legal address, the one I receive my mail at and pay my bills for, has my belongings in (including my dogs) and where I spend 75% of my free time is different from hers. I don't need conjecture, speculation or personal opinions here. I need some ideas from somebody who actually knows what they're talking about...if there is anyone here that does.

FarmerJ: Thanks for the off topic ideas but they're not really an option at this time.

Last edited:
H

hmmbrdzz

OK Mr. "I don't need conjecture, speculation or personal opinions here". I ask -- what are you doing here, then? FarmerJ sure had some good legal ideas for you, but it sounds like you don't want to do what's legal either.

hmmbrdzz

Last edited:
D

Drummond

What am I doing here? Asking for ideas from other, more socially mature and developed people that don't feel the need to hurl feeble insults just because their little, delicate sensitivities were stepped on when they didn't get their way.

Any takers, or am I stuck with "go screw yourself" from humjob or whatever his name is?

FarmerJ

Drum too bad it couldnt work for you it could be a good way to house your child a nd your self and still have sep units and some that are rentals , drum I used to participate in section 8 housing as a landlord and Im very surprised that this housing program would listen to anyone else let alone the tenant , I can tell you in minneapolis S8 could care less what a tenant does , and the LL is the one who has to prove lease violations Inc extra bodys living in a unit that arent on lease . SO start with your city hall and see of your town has a renters advocate , If they dont then perhaps your childs mom can get definite answers from a legal aid society since she is going to be the one forced to cough up the extra rent , have her lease reviewed and all douments that she has , There has to be some sort of rules or guide that the management has used to allow them to do what they did or to give them the impression that they can do so .

H

hmmbrdzz

It's "she". And trust me -- there's no "delicate sensitivies" in this little body that cause me to blush too easily or attempt to hurl feeble insults. I've been around "badder" dudes than you.

You attempted, through your own admission, to manipulate the system, which has turned into potential legal trouble for you (and your girlfriend). I took time to read and respond to your first post, took time to show you where you're going to have trouble with some things if you challenge it, and I told you needed an attorney if you challenge it. You didn't like the way I said it, apparently, and you also didn't like the "food for thought" suggestion that would help you and your girlfriend begin getting yourself out of this kind of mess, leading me to believe you're possibly looking for someone to help you continue your manipulation. So, go screw yourself again and continue waiting around for others who will help you in ways I won't.

And by the way, I used to process claims of welfare fraud against inmates being processed for entry into the DOC. You might be encouraged to know that whatever "it" looks like is the only thing that IS relevant. That's all evidence is, little boy.

hmmbrdzz

D

Drummond

Thanks FarmerJ, what you have is a good idea but it's just not feasible at this time. However, I will keep it in mind.

hmmbrdzz said:
It's "she". And trust me -- there's no "delicate sensitivies" in this little body that cause me to blush too easily or attempt to hurl feeble insults. I've been around "badder" dudes than you.

You attempted, through your own admission, to manipulate the system, which has turned into potential legal trouble for you (and your girlfriend). I took time to read and respond to your first post, took time to show you where you're going to have trouble with some things if you challenge it, and I told you needed an attorney if you challenge it. You didn't like the way I said it, apparently, and you also didn't like the "food for thought" suggestion that would help you and your girlfriend begin getting yourself out of this kind of mess, leading me to believe you're possibly looking for someone to help you continue your manipulation. So, go screw yourself again and continue waiting around for others who will help you in ways I won't.

And by the way, I used to process claims of welfare fraud against inmates being processed for entry into the DOC. You might be encouraged to know that whatever "it" looks like is the only thing that IS relevant. That's all evidence is, little boy.

hmmbrdzz
Everyone manipulates the system at some point. Looking for loopholes during tax time is no different. It doesn't mean your breaking the law, just looking for some soft spots. It doesn't mean she's not working and trying to make ends meet, it's saying that she needs some help for a bit. Jobs here are scarce and employers view this area as a source of slave labor. JUst out of school I can't help her because I'm having trouble finding a job in my field. There is a difference between wanting to work but can't and being able to work but won't. You have to do what you need to keep a roof over your head and food in your children's bellies. It may not be nice or fun, but it's what you have to deal with.

Last edited:
H

hmmbrdzz

It's people like you who make the welfare world go 'round. Those who look for loopholes at tax time pay taxes and have legal loopholes to jump through. You? You have no legal loopholes in this case because you have no legal rights here. None. Zero. Your girlfriend is living dirt cheap because she has lost her jobs and has several kids, and you're complaining because her rent is going up and because you might get in "trouble"? Go get a job and stop your welfare whining. Start paying taxes, get your girlfriend out of HUD or either PAY for her to live there while you use your "little computer network" there. Start paying child support on both kids. Until then, suck the system if you can find it in between those soft spots.

hmmbrdzz

Last edited:

HomeGuru

hmmbrdzz said:
OK Mr. "I don't need conjecture, speculation or personal opinions here". I ask -- what are you doing here, then? FarmerJ sure had some good legal ideas for you, but it sounds like you don't want to do what's legal either. So go screw yourself.

hmmbrdzz

**A: you have been warned once before and I am not going to warn you again. Your post could have easily been made without need for the last sentence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">