• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leilainabind

I live in Pennsylvania i lent my car to someone and apparently they committed retail theft while using my car, i received a letter to my home saying i needed to appear at the local police station for fingerprinting. I do not want to get anyone in trouble but i did not commit the retail theft, what can i do?:confused::eek:

FlyingRon

A lawyer is a good idea.

You don't want to get anybody in trouble? Your "friend" has gotten you in a TON of trouble. I suspect he gave your name when he was stopped by store security (or was this a drive-off gasoline thing?). Either way you're facing fines, civl lawsuit, jail time, loss of driver's license, etc...

leilainabind

I know it sounds stupid and obviously i wont put myself through harm even if it means giving someone up however i just wanted to know how to handle my part, the rest was not really advice just a statement of the obvious i was hoping for more helpful info like can they charge me even though it was not me that did it?

racer72

i was hoping for more helpful info like can they charge me even though it was not me that did it?
What part of "you are in a heap of trouble" don't you understand? The following is not a statement, it is what will happen to you.
1. A big fine.
2. Getting sued for civil restitution.
3. Spending time in jail.
4. Losing your driving priveliges.

Is that advice good enough? As far as the police and everyone is concerned, you committed the crime. Tell the police who did it or you will face the consequences.

Banned_Princess

I know it sounds stupid and obviously i wont put myself through harm even if it means giving someone up however i just wanted to know how to handle my part, the rest was not really advice just a statement of the obvious i was hoping for more helpful info like can they charge me even though it was not me that did it?
Yes they can, and they will.

FlyingRon

Hey, if we made it so people didn't get charged for things they didn't do, we could get rid of the bulk of the criminal court system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">