• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

larry4jesus

What is the name of your state? Texas
While working for an ex employer I made a verbal agreement that rather than compensate me with extra wages they would pay for a portion of my dependents insurance coverage (it was done verbally because it is illegal to do this). Being a volunteer organization many leaders change and so as with the ones I made the agreement with. 15 months after leaving the organization I get a letter telling me I owe them for the coverage in which they paid for my dependents. I was the A/P person and submitted all insurance payments to officers for there signature and approvals. (I never signed any checks) The entire time I was employed there was never nothing said. My work in this area was also approved by the manager as well as a number of volunteer officers in addition to an outside auditor. My question is should I agree to pay them to money or does the responsiblility lie on the parties who signed the checks and approved the monthly finances?

JETX

"My question is should I agree to pay them to money or does the responsiblility lie on the parties who signed the checks and approved the monthly finances?"

If you received the benefit of unearned (or illegal) activity as you described, you would need to repay them for your benefit. They can very easily document that you were unjustly compensated (in the excess insurance premiums) and you have no legal basis to dispute the fact.
You could be forced to repay them by legal action.

Beth3

Larry, the entire premise makes no sense. Why wouldn't they just pay you the proper wages and then make a payroll deduction for the amount the company was paying for your coverage? That's the easy and legal way to do it, provided they were treating all the employees in the same "class" equitably.

If this is a non-profit charitable organization of some sort, and particularly if they receive any public funding or grants of any kind, they are subject to some very fine scruitiny and an annual audit. If you wrongly benefited from a "private deal," then you may indeed be required to make restitution.

If the "extra wages" you mention was overtime pay they were required to pay under the law, then you may have a separate claim for that. If it's base pay, then you're most probably out of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">