• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do with someone elses stuff?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ronthefloorman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida
I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this question, but I would like to find out how to handle getting rid of belongings that an old acquaintance left at my home. The friend came for a short visit and brought a lot of stuff with him. It is in my shed and I want to clean it out. What is the proper way to get rid of it without braking any laws?

justalayman

what was your agreement with the guy about the stuff? Do you still have knowledge of his whereabouts? Why did he leave the stuff with you?

ronthefloorman

Well there was no agreement about the stuff? I do know where he lives, but we don't talk. and the reason he left his stuff?...I really don't know.

Antigone*

Well there was no agreement about the stuff? I do know where he lives, but we don't talk. and the reason he left his stuff?...I really don't know.
Send him a letter RRR giving him 30 days to get his stuff. Let him know that on day 31, you'll have the Salvation Army come to pick up the abandoned belongings.

justalayman

without knowing all of the circumstances, we have no real way to know what will get you into trouble.

Have you considered asking the guy to remove the stuff? Sure seems like the easiest way out of the situation.

Other than that, if it were me, I would box all the stuff up, drive to his house, knock on the door and when he answers, say, here is all your stuff. I can set it in the house our in the yard but it is not leaving in my truck.

that way, the guy cannot claim you left his property outside to be damaged or stolen, which would surely make you liable for the stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">