• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happened to confidentiality?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

citrusrnd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Florida

Crystal River, Citrus County

I am not sure I am posting this in the correct area of the forum.
I recently had an argument with a neighbor who is building a home in a nearby lot. During the argument my neighbor boasted that the city of Crystal River notified him of my identity and my complaint. Now he is harassing me. In the past I did call the city to complain about possible code violations and other issues regarding the construction. Other incidents lead me to believe his statements are true. He seems to be held to a separate set of standards compared to other builders. Is it legal to release my identity or is this just a case of ethics?

CdwJava

I doubt there is any legal requirement that a complaining party's name be kept confidential. In fact, most states require that government release names of complainants, memos, notes, etc. upon request.

The bottom line is that unless you refuse to give your name or contact info, it likely becomes a matter of public record when you call. But, if you were to make an anonymous complaint, it has no legal foundation and the state likely could not readily act on that kind of a complaint absent some obvious issue.

No, there would appear to be no confidentiality problem. And, the government agency was likely required to release the name of the complaining party on request.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">