• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if the store gives you too much money when you cash a check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ktMine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

A friend of my son's (old friend of the family's, almost like a second son) cashed a payroll check at a local store - like Walmart or a big box store. It was for $800+ (an odd amount). The store gave him $1600+ (another odd amount that was NOT double the amount, nor just $800 more than the amount).

When he got home he realized it was way too much money, but he wants to keep it. I'm really worried that he can get in trouble for this.

Apart from being morally wrong, is this illegal or a crime of some sort?

Thanks!

Isis1

A friend of my son's (old friend of the family's, almost like a second son) cashed a payroll check at a local store - like Walmart or a big box store. It was for $800+ (an odd amount). The store gave him $1600+ (another odd amount that was NOT double the amount, nor just $800 more than the amount).

When he got home he realized it was way too much money, but he wants to keep it. I'm really worried that he can get in trouble for this.

Thanks!
absolutely. it's call stealing. and because of the amount, it's still a misdomeanor. i think. i'll have to check that.

Yes, this would be theft/unjust enrichment. He needs to return the money ASAP.

Places like Wal*Mart tend to employ security cameras in their check cashing kiosks/areas. Most likely, once they noticed the till was short (which they would have noticed at shift-change), they reviewed the camera footage. And once they match the time stamp on the footage, they can match that time with the time stamp on the till.

So, really, it could just be a matter of time.

dave33

Thanks!
Taking what is not yours is obviously stealing. Although the store proving
that you knowingly did this is another matter entirely.

st-kitts

Taking what is not yours is obviously stealing. Although the store proving
that you knowingly did this is another matter entirely.
So you are advising OP's friend use the legal defense that he did not know he received more money than he should have because... he can't count????

dave33

So you are advising OP's friend use the legal defense that he did not know he received more money than he should have because... he can't count????
Not advising anything. At this point no legal defense is needed. Whether he can/can't count or did/didn't count, who's to say? Not everyone counts money received from a cashier.

Isis1

Not advising anything. At this point no legal defense is needed. Whether he can/can't count or did/didn't count, who's to say? Not everyone counts money received from a cashier.
well, you can bet your last clean underwear they'll notice if they didn't receive the full amount. why shouldn't the door swing both ways?

dave33

well, you can bet your last clean underwear they'll notice if they didn't receive the full amount. why shouldn't the door swing both ways?
I agree. I would also personally return the money.

The door should swing both ways. Let's switch the situation around.
You get short changed and you do not realize the mistake or theft
right away. You go back to the store and ask for more cash. I cannot
help but to wonder how accommodating they would be.

Putting aside anyone's perception of right and wrong, to answer the o.p.'s
question you can get in trouble. But, I suspect they would have a hard time proving he knowingly committed a criminal act. They would certainly try and get an admission. Unless they have him on camera counting the money it will
not be easy to prove.

ktMine

Thanks

Thanks CreativebBlock for a great explanation! I looked up unjust enrichment in wikipedia and was able to tell him your answer and the definition and that definitely changed his mind. He went back and returned it.

Yes, this would be theft/unjust enrichment. He needs to return the money ASAP.

Places like Wal*Mart tend to employ security cameras in their check cashing kiosks/areas. Most likely, once they noticed the till was short (which they would have noticed at shift-change), they reviewed the camera footage. And once they match the time stamp on the footage, they can match that time with the time stamp on the till.

So, really, it could just be a matter of time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">