• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens when you don't show up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StrangeEyeAm

Virginia

So... backstory...

My house was broken into last... November. The kid eventually was caught breaking into other houses and was arrested and sent to jail. Now he's already had one court date. I was supposed to be there to testify. I was out of town, though. I told her that I was going to be out of town and wouldn't be able to be there. She called me back and told me that I had to be there. I couldn't be, clearly, so I called the morning of and repeated myself that I was out of town and would not be there.

2nd court date is tomorrow. I got another subpoena to be in court tomorrow. Honestly... I don't want to go and testify. I mean... this neighborhood is rough. I don't want his friends or family to be there and see me there. I was planning on just not going... but then the woman called me again and left a message.

She said that it was "imperative that I be in court tomorrow and wouldn't be excused this time". What does that mean? Can I get in a lot of trouble for not showing up? A ticket? A big fine. I guess I should just go. I guess I don't have a choice. But I am curious. Kind of sucks that I have to take time out of my life to go to court for something that he did to me. Grrr...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Virginia

So... backstory...

My house was broken into last... November. The kid eventually was caught breaking into other houses and was arrested and sent to jail. Now he's already had one court date. I was supposed to be there to testify. I was out of town, though. I told her that I was going to be out of town and wouldn't be able to be there. She called me back and told me that I had to be there. I couldn't be, clearly, so I called the morning of and repeated myself that I was out of town and would not be there.

2nd court date is tomorrow. I got another subpoena to be in court tomorrow. Honestly... I don't want to go and testify. I mean... this neighborhood is rough. I don't want his friends or family to be there and see me there. I was planning on just not going... but then the woman called me again and left a message.

She said that it was "imperative that I be in court tomorrow and wouldn't be excused this time". What does that mean? Can I get in a lot of trouble for not showing up? A ticket? A big fine. I guess I should just go. I guess I don't have a choice. But I am curious. Kind of sucks that I have to take time out of my life to go to court for something that he did to me. Grrr...
Yep, sucks that you might actually be expected to testify in order to help make sure justice is served. I mean, sorry that it's inconvenient and all.

justalayman

If you have a subpoena and refuse to respond accordingly, you might find yourself on the stand as a defendant. Contempt of court.

and if you weren't willing to assist in the suspect being prosecuted, why did you bother to report the crime?

Silverplum

Haha, isn't that what you are supposed to do when someone breaks into your house? But, okay. I was just asking. Thanks.
So yeah, you report the crime to the police.

THEN what did you think happens? The police write a report and nothing happens after that?

Would THAT make you happy?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Virginia

So... backstory...

A warrant could be issued for your arrest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">