• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if a minor lied to the police about who gave them alcohol?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rovertbr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

If I was charged with an MIP and the cop was asking me who gave me the drink and I gave him the wrong name, what can happen to me? The guy who was wrongly convicted is taking his case to court (to fight his procuring charge) and I have to testify as a witness. If I tell the truth that I was nervous, scared, drunk and not thinking clearly (and also it was my first offense with the police) so I lied, would I be in any trouble?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So it's okay for someone else to be in trouble because of something he didn't do, as long as you don't get in trouble for something you did do? Is that what you're implying here?

rovertbr

Well I already paid my dues and such. I dont want him to be in any trouble, I am just wondering what would happen to be if I confessed in court that I lied.

Silverplum

Well I already paid my dues and such. I dont want him to be in any trouble, I am just wondering what would happen to be if I confessed in court that I lied.
Okay, if you need internet people to tell you what to do: TELL THE TRUTH.

:)rolleyes:)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The crystal ball is out being recalibrated. There's no way for us to know what would happen. We don't know the lawyers or the judge or the court to know whether you'd be "in trouble" as you put it or if you'd get credit for FINALLY manning up and telling the truth.

What I do know is that you're a cowardly excuse for a human being if you let someone else take the fall for something he didn't do in order to save your own skin.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well I already paid my dues and such. I dont want him to be in any trouble...
I call BS - you said the guy was "wrongly convicted" - he's ALREADY in trouble.

Something about this thread doesn't ring true to me. I think we're being lied to and/or manipulated here folks.

rovertbr

Zigner, he was going through diversion, a program that would get the charge off his record, but he failed his drug test and they kicked him out the program. So he's trying to fight the original charge. I don't want him in "trouble" means having this on his record.

single317dad

So, either you lied then or you're about to go lie. Either way, I can tell you what will happen: your credibility as a witness will be heavily compromised.

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

If I was charged with an MIP and the cop was asking me who gave me the drink and I gave him the wrong name, what can happen to me? The guy who was wrongly convicted is taking his case to court (to fight his procuring charge) and I have to testify as a witness. If I tell the truth that I was nervous, scared, drunk and not thinking clearly (and also it was my first offense with the police) so I lied, would I be in any trouble?
Sooo ... are you now going to provide the REAL name of the guy who provided you the alcohol? Or, are you just going to say that you lied to the police and to the court when this guy went to trial the first time and was convicted? Was the guy even AT the party? Or, was he someone you fingered at random?

I'm surprised that the guy was convicted solely on your say-so if he was denying it the whole time ... something's missing ...

Understand that making such a claim can get you prosecuted for new crimes, AND sued by the guy you had punished for a crime you now say he did NOT commit! Before you make such a life-altering confession, consult an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">