• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if your story changes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

happybee84

What is the name of your state? California

Say perhaps you filed a report with a police officer stating that you witnessed someone driving into and knocking over your mailbox... and you gave specific details about how it happened, but in reality they did not do it... AND you changed your story to say that someone else had confessed to you that THEY in fact had knocked over your mailbox, so you want to recant your report on person 1. If you're now going to possibly be charged with falsifying a police report, what would the likely consequences be and how should one proceed with the District Attorney?What is the name of your state?

happybee84

i wasnt arrested. we went to court to try and get the charges dropped on person #1 and the DA confronted me and told me that if I changed my story, they can charge me with filing a false report. The Public Defender said that it's a scare tactic. The police officer who took my statement used a digital recorder. I was going to try to go to the police station and listen to it so that I can remember exactly what I said so I know what they're going to throw at me. But I doon't know what the possible consequences are.

CdwJava

If you made a false report to the police you can go to jail for up to a year in CA. Is it a scare tactic? Sure. Will they follow through? Maybe.

So, when you take the stand - tell the truth. If you need to hear the officer's recording to remember the truth, then maybe you didn't tell it the first time ... or, maybe you are not intending to tell it this time.

I strongly suggest you consult an attorney.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">