• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What kind of offenses and statute of limitations for each?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cat0303

What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania - Friend of mine used his sister's credit card fraudulently and bought merchandise totaling over $17,000 well over two years ago by signing her name on check (s) provided by credit card company (without her knowledge/consent). He has been paying the credit card bill for well over the past year with her knowledge and consent, but she still threatens to have him arrested. What kind of criminal charge(s) can be filed against him for his actions and what is/are the statute of limitations on possible charge(s)? Is there an implied contract between him and his sister since he is paying the bill with her knowlege and consent that may be pertinent if she tries to have him arrested? (This is his first offense of any kind...just in case that is pertinent to the situation.)

HomeGuru

cat0303 said:
What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania - Friend of mine used his sister's credit card fraudulently and bought merchandise totaling over $17,000 well over two years ago by signing her name on check (s) provided by credit card company (without her knowledge/consent). He has been paying the credit card bill for well over the past year with her knowledge and consent, but she still threatens to have him arrested. What kind of criminal charge(s) can be filed against him for his actions and what is/are the statute of limitations on possible charge(s)? Is there an implied contract between him and his sister since he is paying the bill with her knowlege and consent that may be pertinent if she tries to have him arrested? (This is his first offense of any kind...just in case that is pertinent to the situation.)

**A: so let me ask you, why is this idiot still your friend?

cat0303

good people can do bad things sometime in their lives. doesn't mean they are bad....just that they are (as you said) idiots. i believe if they take responsibility for their actions, learn from their "mistakes", and attempt restitution (if possible...such as in this case), who are we to judge? we are all human with the capacity to do the wrong thing. having said that, however, i made it perfectly clear (when i eventually found out about the situation) that if he had ever done that to me, i immediately would have had him arrested, family or not...restitution or not.

HomeGuru

cat0303 said:
good people can do bad things sometime in their lives. doesn't mean they are bad....just that they are (as you said) idiots. i believe if they take responsibility for their actions, learn from their "mistakes", and attempt restitution (if possible...such as in this case), who are we to judge?

**A: oh. get off your high horse.
we are all human with the capacity to do the wrong thing. having said that, however, i made it perfectly clear (when i eventually found out about the situation) that if he had ever done that to me, i immediately would have had him arrested, family or not...restitution or not.

**A: you speak with forked tongue. Why did you not advise his sister to have him arrested when you found out about his bad deeds?

CdwJava

It is very likely that this situation would be viewed by the courts as a civil issue now that she has agreed to allow him to pay off the debt. However, the state (i.e. the District Attorney) would still have the right to pursue criminal charges, though they probably wouldn't.

I don't know the SOL for this kind of crime in PA (and there are many crimes he COULD be charged with) but I wouldn't be surprised if it were 5 years or more.

- Carl

cat0303

no forked tongue...deed was done before i had met him and long before i found out about it and he was already paying the bill. i choose not to get involved in things between his family members and him...not my business if i'm not directly involved. besides, his mother is terminally ill and she is probably the only reason his sister did not have him arrested...because his mother does not want that to happen. however, when his mother passes, it still may occur........hence the question i originally asked. i'm not asking for judgment replies here...i am asking for legal answers to a couple of basic questions regarding possible charges and statutes of limitations. i thought that was the general purpose of this forum?!?!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">